Rochester Photo News

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Photo Engineer, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Today, Kodak sold it's core image sensor division to another company for an undisclosed amount. They can still use all current technology for their own products, but this does not mean much as they don't make digital cameras! :wink:

Scott's photo is closing January 1 2012. It is one of the last photofinishers in Rochester NY.

Hahn Graphic, one one of the last sources of quality analog products in Rochester closed last month.

PE

2. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Excellent news. Now Kodak can concentrate on film :smile:

3. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wanna bet?

4. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    No! I just bought 35 rolls of 400H...

5. Dave in Kansas

Dave in Kansas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And I just bought 10 rolls of Plus-X.

6. MaximusM3

MaximusM3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    ..and I just bought another 100 of Tri-X :smile:

7. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Talk about futile gestures...

8. lensman_nh

lensman_nh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The sensor group was one of the jewels in the crown. I wonder if the patent portfolio that went with it was part of the sale?

Any word on who the buyer was?

J.

Update:

Google is my friend:

Platinum Equity. I have to wonder what they are going to do with it?

9. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Kodak doesn't make cameras but they do sell sensors as far as I know.

10. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Too bad, My brother in law roomed with Scotty at RIT. They are still friends..

11. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Of course, your purchase won't keep Kodak alive, but it will give you a nice supply of an emulsion it would appear you enjoy using. That's a pretty good reason in and of itself to buy it.

s-a

12. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sadly, no. But they'd better find something to sell other than seed corn. And fast...

Ken

13. MaximusM3

MaximusM3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF

That's the only reason, unfortunately. I wish these purchases would help Kodak but I'm not fooling myself. Call me a romantic, but I'm not one of those to simply say, "oh well, they are gone and I'll shoot something else". It's Kodak for goodness sake, and it's Tri-X. It's photography, beauty, heritage, history. I want to have enough of those yellow boxes to last me until my eyes give up.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Its funny how the government stepped in a number of times these past few years to protect institutions that were supposedly a core element the the U.S. economy, from financial institutions, to manufacturing companies, to big technology. But a company such as Kodak, which over its company lifetime has aided the U.S. in a number of huge technological developments and products, as well as employed a substantial work force for the last 100 years, is being left in the dust, having to piecemeal itself apart. Its quite a sad story thats been unfolding, but the truth is, unless kodak does some huge technological leap frogging to boost its revenue, along with some realignment of its marketing department, this only seems as though it will get worse.:pouty:

16. alanrockwood

alanrockwood Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  17. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes. In fact they make the reportedly superb sensor in the Leica M9.

18. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ha! You're a creature of Branding. 'Our work is done here' Kodak's Marketing and R&D Depts. could say, about a lot of the people who hang out here. I'm one too.

s-a

19. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Having worked for a large, old company that finally sold everything off and went out of business (White Motors), this makes me sad. I don't think they can make it in the printer business. I'm not that knowledgeable, but I don't see ink cartridges the same as film (maybe razor blades?). Trying to 'leap frog' technology is very difficult. Been there, done that. Unless you have a good foundation and are up on a business, it's almost impossible to come up to speed fast enough.
    I'm sure many good minds are working on their situation, but I fear for their demise.

20. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you can shop for buggy whips on an iPad (and you can) there will always be film, certainly as long as any of us is alive. I think Ilford will be the last man standing in the film coliseum. Fuji is just as capital intensive a business as is Kodak. They'll get out of the film business, too, sooner than later methinks.

If you want to have black & white film around in future years and are running low, support Ilford and not Kodak. Your purchase there will be something more than a mere exercise in futility.

I'm down to my last 10 sheets of 8x10 Tmax. When it's gone I'll order HP5+.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2011
  21. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So I believe...but how many M9's are sold in a year, compared with, say, smartphones.

22. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The difference is that a skilled worker, on his own, can make a top quality buggy whip in a back-yard workshop with relatively simple tools and materials. You can't make a 35mm film in that way.

(I agree with what you say about Fuji and Ilford...)

23. Joe O'Brien

Joe O'Brien Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I'm glad I'm learning to pour plates then!

24. MaximusM3

MaximusM3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF

Enough to have resurrected Leica from near death and triggering backorders of six months or more for lenses that cost $5,000+++
    Keep it small, keep it focused, and, as Steve Jobs would say.."make insanely great products".

25. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is true as far as I know. There's a particular store here in Montreal (photography dead zone) selling Leica gear and I asked him one day if he actually sells any of the digital Leica stuff, particularly considering how expensive the latest incarnations of the M lenses are. He told me he honestly sells more than he can deliver and things are backordered, and that the last Leica product he remembers being in such demand was the M4.

Anyhow my point was only that Kodak can indeed still come up with leading-edge ideas.

26. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The point is that there's demand for buggy whips no matter how advanced transportation technology becomes. No matter how photography changes there will always be demand for film so someone will always make it. Perhaps this is a better example.