Rodagon verses Kodak Ektanon?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Buster6X6, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Buster6X6

Buster6X6 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have Kodak Ektanon 161/ f4.5 enlarging lens which performs pretty good ( I have nothing to compare it with). I have gone trough several threads and looks to me a lot of people like the performance of a Rodagon lenses. Does anybody know how those two lenses compare? Would one be better then other? Any impute would be appreciated.

Greg

2. edz

edz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I recall correctly they were acceptable but never great in their day. The 161mm is, I think, an extended triplett, perhaps even a Tessar (not sure). In the Kodak lineup they were the "budget" glass. The Ektars were, by contrast, among the best of their day but from today's perspective really half-a-century old state of the art--- and the art really has advanced since the war, especially since computers became widespread and economical. The Rodagons, compared to the Ektars, are better corrected, coated and represent a very different state of the technical lensmaking. If you are looking for "sharpeness" and contrast then you might want--- especially given the current market prices--- to pick up a Rodagon 150mm (or even the 135mm).
    Make a difference? I think so..

3. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I agree fully with Ed. The Rodagons are the best around now. I used Kodak lenses for years. I have also been through Nikkors and Schneiders. All of these have been relegated to the For Sale box and I only use Rodagons in the darkroom.
    Jim

4. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Go for the Rodagon. Although I am not acquainted with the specific lens, "Ektanon" was the trade name for Kodak's lesser quality lenses. Many were three element designs and not particularly sharp. Rodagon has long been Rodenstocks trade name for professional quality enlarging lenses

5. Buster6X6

Buster6X6 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks every one for making decision easy for me. As I said I have been using Kodak for three years and not having anything to compare it with Kodak gave me acceptable results. But if I can do better sure worth a try. The Rodagon lenses are going for a song.

Greg