Rodenstock 600mm apo ronar

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by DrPablo, Aug 23, 2006.

1. DrPablo

DrPablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm thinking of picking up this lens for my Calumet 45N. I have no idea how to mount or use this typs of lens on my camera, though. Any thoughts?

2. JosBurke

JosBurke Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good Gosh man !! You'll need a a tripod for just the lens--they're huge--I had one--sold it--too big for me to play with--I got an Artar instead in the aluminum mount--much lighter !!! When I sold it I had to ship it truck freight--dang it was big !! Slightly exaggerating but it is a big heavy chunk of glass !

3. JosBurke

JosBurke Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good Gosh man !! On a 4x5---I see a nose dive coming --will it even mount on a 4x5? I have a 480 mm APO Ronar (barrel) that I'll sell ya that is way smaller and lighter !

4. DrPablo

DrPablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Heh, too much for me to handle? I would have no idea how to mount it. It's probably way longer than I need -- just tempting when the price is low!

5. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Swing by Levines. They've seen 'em before.

6. DrPablo

DrPablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I could do that. Levine's is like a candy store. I need to leave my wallet at home when I go there. I was wistfully eyeing a gorgeous 8x10 Linhof (for only $6k) last time I was in there.

7. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Paul,

I would also suspect that the Calumet will not have sufficient bellows for the 600mm
    Apo Ronar. I am almost positive that my Linhof Technikardan 45S has insufficient bellows- it has 500mm of bellows.

Rich

8. DrPablo

DrPablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info -- glad I didn't hastily buy the lens!

9. Capocheny

Capocheny Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi Doc,

I don't think your camera will handle that lens... you'll need LOTS of bellows length! 1200 mm for 1:1!!! :smile:

Btw, Sherpas are no longer included in the purchase price of the lens! Nor, the 1/2 ton truck! :smile:

Jos,

Do your friends NOW call you Mr. Atlas? :smile:

Cheers

10. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Paul, I recently sold mine. I shipped it packed box-in-box, with styrofoam peanuts around the lens and between the boxes. Light boxes, though. The parcel weighed a little over 8 pounds.

When thinking about a long lens, always keep in mind that for "normal" lenses (not telephoto, not retrofocus) flange-to-film distance at infinity is approximately the lens' focal length. Apo Ronars are normal as normal can be.

And now I understand why people who shoot ULF tend to use lenses that are normal (or shorter than normal) for the format.

Cheers,

Dan