Rodenstock Sironar 150mm (older model)

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by timpppa, Feb 28, 2009.

1. timpppa

timpppa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello!

I have a change to purchase 150mm/f5.6 rodenstock sironar lens at very low price. I could not find any information regarding the older model. This is "plain" sironar without the S or N. I think this lens is made in 1977-78.

What is the image circle for this lens? Should I buy the lens, or should I invest a little more for -S model?

Help would be appreciated!

--
    Regards,
    Timo Leppiniemi

2. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The image circle should be plenty for 4x5 inch.
    I have one, I believe, and it is a good lens, use it in architecture verry little.
    Check the coating, otherwise you will have a flare issue. Never had problems with mine though.
    Is it on ebay ?

The later ones have better coatings (and are less prone to flare).
    It depends a bit on what you can spend.......

Peter

3. timpppa

timpppa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the lens is uncoated? At least it's not multicoated...

Attached Files:

4. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Timo - you can find out how old your lens is be looking at the serial number and comparing it to this list - http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/agevs.htm

I have asked similar questions recently and the synopsis is - If the Len looks clean (no dents on the lens body/scratches on the optics/cloudiness looking through the lens) and the shutter is good then any post 1970 lens will out perform your expectations by some considerable margin.

If it’s a nice lens for a good price you could buy it and in the future trade it in if you ever felt the need for a newer/new one

Good luck

Martin

5. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Could not agree more with you, Martin.

6. Richard Kelham

Richard Kelham Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one of those too. It's a good lens, single coated (mine's c1968), plenty of coverage for 5x4, sharp, though it's beginning to develop a balsam fault. Your's looks very clean.

7. randyB

randyB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought mine in 1972. I worked for a small camera store in Nashville so I bought it on the "camera store employee plan" which means I got it for 1/2 the list price from the importer, Berkey Marketing. In the early 80's the front element started separating so I sent it Berkey who sent it back to Rodenstock in Germany who repaired it at no charge. It is one of my favorite lenses. The newer ones are a tiny little bit sharper as Rodenstock tweaked the formula a little and the multicoating is a big plus for color work. You should be happy with either.

8. kirkfry

kirkfry Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The many of the plain ordinary sironars of this time frame had lens separation issues. Rodenstock had not perfected the new synthetic adhesives at that time. I have had 3 of mine from this time frame separate. There may be a reason the lens is cheap.

K

9. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As the Rodenstock 150mm experts have emerged: Any opinions of the 150 mm f9 Apo Ronar? Mine came with a Wista, I haven't used it a lot (preferring 210 and 105 mm). The small size is useful, allowing it to stay on the camera when folded. I'd be interested in opinions of its quality.

Thanks - Ross