Rodinal 1+25 and Acros

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by timeUnit, Oct 6, 2005.

1. timeUnit

timeUnit Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I made a little mistake and did not check development times for Rodinal 1+25 and Neopan Acros before I mixed up 1,5 litres of developer. When I checked massivedevchart I found that there were no times for that combination... So, being a cheapskate, I did some advanced mathematics and came up with 9 minutes with agitation the first minute, and four inversions (with a 1,5 litre tank, takes like 20 sec) at 3 - 5 - 7 minutes. Nah, it wasn't really mathematical, I was guessing...

Anyway. The negs look alright, but quite high in contrast. I haven't printed any of them yet, so I'm not sure about grain, but I'm pretty sure it will be more visible than my normal development, XTOL 1+1. Which is good, as I find Acros almost too fine-grained in XTOL. Can't get grain focus even at 12x16 enlargements! :smile:

Next time I will try 1 + 50... and of course that 2 hour stand development.

2. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use Rodinal 1+25 and Neopan Acros 4x5 regularly, in a jobo, with times from 3 to 11 minutes depending on how i shot the film. I get very good results.

I think you will find many folks use the combination with success.

Pete

3. timeUnit

timeUnit Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I'll need to rate it at 50 or even 25 to get a little more controlled contrast. At 100 ISO with 1+25 I lost some of the nice things with acros, ie the beautiful tones.

4. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I test 1+25 , 1+50 and 1+100 and I really prefer tthe 1+100 for normal and minus , for plus I use 1+50

best

5. timeUnit

timeUnit Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The problem I have with the higher dilutions is that there is not enough developer in the tank to complete the development process. That is to say it becomes exhausted before development is complete.

The real problem is that I use a jobo 1500 and the chemical tanks don't hold enough liquid to allow me to use higher dilutions and still keep the minimum amount of developer needed in the solution to do the job.

Pete

7. timeUnit

timeUnit Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. hortense

hortense Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have been using Extol 1+1 for Acros 400 in order to avoid derating the A 400 ASA. However, I like the idea of the different dilutions of Rodinal for different N-values as long as there is no degradation of quality using Rodinal vs. Extol.

9. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I understand peter. And 1+100 dilution is only intereting if you develop in manual tank or in tray. For 120 film I use a manual tank and for large format film I truely prefer to develop it by hand. I can handle 8-12 film in th same batch so it is quick to develop a the wotk of the day.

Best