Rodinal age limitations

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by fidget, Apr 18, 2008.

1. fidget

fidget Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi, My usual film developer is ID11 (for HP5+,FP4+, Delta400, Delta100 and APX400s). I'm itching to have a go at Rodinal and have been given an unopened 500ml bottle by a friend who was clearing out their darkroom.
    I cannot tell what age this is and don't know if this is very important. The leaflet inside says 6months once opened. What about storage unopened.
    A number is stamped on the lid of the box "79081 L". Could this be meaningless or even.....1981 vintage!?

Dave..

Edit: Ah wait a minute! there's a web address on the box, it's unlikely that they had a web address in 1981. That seems better, I guess that my interpretation of the batch/date stamp is a little inaccurate...

2. Uhner

Uhner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The content of your bottle will in all likelihood be as good as new. I have used Rodinal from bottles that have been open for several years with no problem.

3. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  4. fidget

fidget Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oops! I just read a not-too-old thread on the use of Rodinal of all sorts of ages, so I guess that the age of my particular bottle (plastic) is not an issue.
    Note for future: must search threads before I ask a question..........

5. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just out of curiosity, when were Rodinal bottles changed from glass to plastic? (I have an old, empty, glass Rodinal bottle, maybe pre-war...would like to know it's age. :smile: )

6. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sometime between the mid-70's and the early 80's.

Ed