Rodinal and HP5

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Craig, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have several boxes of HP5 (not HP5 plus) in 8x10 that I am using to contact print. So far I have been using ID-11 to develop the film and the contacts are rather disappointing. They are flat and lack contrast, compared to enlagments made from 4x5 HP5+ developed the same way.

Therefore, I was thinking of using Rodinal to add some snap to the 8x10 film. Any other suggestions for devlopers, and a time/reccomended dilution for the Rodinal.

Craig

2. ian_greant

ian_greant Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I usually use the times at www.digitaltruth.com as my starting point.
    Never used standard HP5 so I can't be much help.
    sorry man.

Ian

3. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Here I have to pass as I never have used HP5 (non+) and Rodinal. Maybe TPPhotog can help. He is a HP5 man.

4. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    HP5 (not plus) is likely to be old film. As such, it probably has lost some speed and may also have developed a fog that reduces contrast; as such, it may need to be exposed more and developed a little more strongly in order to make good prints. If you can't find times for the old HP5, I'd suggest testing a few sheets starting with downrating one stop and developing at the suggested time (or your time, if you have one) for HP5+, plus 20%, and see what kind of contact print you get.

5. Jordan

Jordan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with Donald. IIRC Ilford introduced HP5+ in the very early 1990s. That should give you an idea of how old your HP5 is. I would follow Donald's suggestions re: overexposing or try adding some anti-foggant like KBr to your ID-11.

6. Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, I'll try some tests this weekend. The camera was a gift to me and it also came with a couple boxes of Velvia that expired in 1993, so I'm assuming the HP5 is of a similar vintage. None of the film has been refrigerated, and surprisingly the Velvia has turned out perfectly, no colour shifts at all.

7. Jordan

Jordan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, that bodes well for the cold-stored Velvia (expired 1998) I recent got a bulk roll of!