Rodinal from 2001

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by jordanstarr, May 8, 2009.

1. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey...

I have some Rodinal that was purchased on 2001 and it's grey in colour. Anyone know if this is still good? My instincts tell me no.

...Jordan.

2. Jordan

Jordan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With other developers it'd be a concern -- but not with Rodinal. There are reports of people using 40-year-old bottles with no ill effects. My bottle dates from 2000 and is still going strong.

(from one Canadian guy named Jordan to another)

3. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you just opened it I'm sure it's fine. If it's been half full or so for that long you might have some troulbe... A snip test is easy enough. Shawn

4. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gray? I've seen it amber and brown, but not gray. Usually this stuff is forever, but I'd run a test roll.

5. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a good point I overlooked. In the few years I've been using it I've seen clearish amber/purple to dark brown but not gray. A quick test and there are no more questions.

6. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll do the test. Now that I look harder, grey might not be as correct as grey-ish brown (the bottle is white and threw me off). I'll run a test, I just thought there might be a "no way don't even bother trying" somewhere from someone who has done the same. Even then, it's always best to test and be certain. Thanks all.

7. Martin Reed

Martin Reed Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got a 500ml bottle of Rodinal from 1977, about a quarter full. This was when it came in a glass bottle with graduations on the side. I tested it in 1997 at the 20 year mark, and it compared very favourably with fresh Rodinal, even though it's as black as creosote. Maybe a tad less activity. I'm saving it to try again in 2017. I'm sure it's going to outlive me.

8. RobertV

RobertV Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    [​IMG]

New Rodinal and Rollei Retro 100 / APX 100.

[​IMG]

4 years old Rodinal and the same Rollei Retro 100 / APX 100.

This year it's 7 years old. I will wait and do the 10 y.o. test.
    Maybe it's a good idea to save one film as well due to the fact the Retro/APX 100/400 films are running out of stock worldwide soon.

9. RobertV

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The color of Rodinal should go from light yellow (when it's brand new) , light brown, brown, dark brown to almost black.

10. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

White bottle?
    Mark

11. Martin Reed

Martin Reed Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, Agfa stopped using glass bottles maybe 25 years ago; the original circular bottles were replaced with a disastrous square glass bottle that shattered very easily, and was quickly phased out and replaced with a similar sized square bottle in white plastic. I believe it was some sort of composite material that was highly impermeable and kept the developer very well. It was probably too expensive and was replaced with the clear translucent bottles maybe 15? years ago. So if the developer is in a white bottle it's probably older than you think. And is probably why it's lasting so well.

12. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just so you all know, it worked like a charm even though it doesn't look like it should.

13. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm just wondering Robert, is the difference between the two pictures due to the difference in developer or does it come from something else (scanning in particular)? The reason I ask is because I have always understood that Rodinal doesn't degrade at all in such a short (4 years) span. Your pictures seem to show a small but significant difference though.

If there is any significant degradation, would it be possible to state a practical best-before-date for Rodinal? Maybe I'm being over-scrutinous here, but I'm just curious after your thoughts on this.

Thanks, Sander.

14. RobertV

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sander: It's the same film divided in two parts developed by the TAS film processor for the exact same times and agitation. So after 4 years there is a small difference in density Rodinal new and Rodinal 4 y.o. There has been no manipulation in the scanner settings.

Agfa gives a time period of 6 months (after opening) for the lifespan of Rodinal.
    I have no idea if the activity of Rodinal stays the same after several years but I can check it out to see if there is more difference from 4 y.o. to 8 y.o. or maybe it stays the same.

15. Jim Bradley

Jim Bradley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does any seperation take place when Rodinal sits for an extended period of time? Should you shake/stir before using "aged" Rodinal?
    Thanks
    JGB

16. RobertV

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After some years crystals are formed in the bottom of the bottle. You can shake your bottle before use but let the crystals sink to the bottom and NOT in your developing tank. The crystals are ok and part of the Rodinal Para-Amino Phenol formula.

The activity will be a very little bit less during some years but you can only see that if you compare with a brand new bottle of Rodinal and a densitometer. However remarkable Dutch forum visitors have seen it yet.
    It's about 0,06 log D.

17. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That would be interesting to know.
    I think about one year ago I used up the Rodinal left in a small container that had been lying around for about 6, 7 years. There was (relatively) a lot of air in the bottle and the Rodinal was sort of black. It worked fine though as far as I could tell.
    I never printed or scanned any of those pictures (I think) nor did I ever compare the film to one developed in fresher Rodinal. I have since been wondering if Rodinal has a best before date (practical in human terms that is). From your little test it does seem to decay a little, but not much at all.

18. mikebarger

mikebarger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just piling on, the test will tell.

But, everything I've read from Rodinal users, if it expired in 1901 or 1801, I wouldn't be afraid to at least test it.

Mike