Rodinal novice question

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by haris, Aug 18, 2007.

1. haris

haris Guest

Hello,

I just recieved my first bottle of Rodinal. Now, I know on this forum are many advices for different films/Rodinal combinations, so I won't ask what dilution for which film. Something else I would like to know.

I saw different people use different dilutions for same film. For example different people who use for example FP4 some use 1:25, others use 1:50, others use 1:100 dilution, etc...

My question is what different dillutions do, that is what is difference between 1:25, 1:50, 1:100, that is why people use different dilutions for same film?

Oh, by the way, Rodinal is one shot developer , right? :smile:

Thank you.

2. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, it's one shot. Some folks use the higher dilutions for the economy but most are interested in the acutance effects evident in the higher dilutions. The 1:25 and 1:50 were the original specs from Agfa, some films do better with the higher concentrations, some need longer times to get more even development. Rodinal is one of those highly personal developers, you can choose a usage that fits your way of working, from a fast working 1:25 on through stand developing at 1:200 for an hour-development limited by developer exhaustion for contrast control.

3. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/rodinal/discuss/72157600245966695/

and in case you're interested in a long time period Rodinal test about lifetime:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/rodinal/discuss/72157601393747142/

For FP4+ I would personally recommend another developer than Rodinal but it depends for what kind of characteristics you're searching for. But the combination of fine grain and high accutance is a fraction which you can reach with the Rodinal APX100/Rollei Retro 100 combination. Another good Rodinal combo is Fomapan 100. If you like sharpness pronounced grain in architecture old look you can also go for the T200 (Creative 200) film from Foma with Rodinal.
    Staying with the Ilford films PAN F is also a nice film combo with Rodinal.

To make the right high dilution of Rodinal you can use the 10ml plastic syrenges of the pharmacy and yes Rodinal is a one shot developer but that you can also read in it's instruction manual. Unfortunately not all developer times are correct in the sheet.

4. Robert T. McCarthy

Robert T. McCarthy Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I saw different people use different dilutions for same film. For example different people who use for example FP4 some use 1:25, others use 1:50, others use 1:100 dilution, etc...

My question is what different dilutions do, that is what is difference between 1:25, 1:50, 1:100, that is why people use different dilutions for same film?

Oh, by the way, Rodinal is one shot developer , right? :smile:

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

/////////////////////////////////////

The different dilutions of Rodinal are used to control contrast. The 1+100 dilution is good to tame a high contrast scene and for a rainy overcast day you might prefer the 1+25 dilution to increase contrast. The 1+50 Dilution is about normal.

Regards.

Bob

5. haris

haris Guest

Thank you Gary and Fotohuis,

FP4 was only as example, first name of film crossed my mind, not meaning I will use it with Rodinal :smile:

6. haris

haris Guest

Thanks Robert

7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got some great results using Rodinal last week. With FP4.

Steve.

8. declark

declark Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am also a novice to Rodinal and just aquired a 500ml bottle, then this thought occurred to me that since it is badged as Agfa, will Rodinal go the way of APX25, APX100 ... as well?

9. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Nah it's been saved. A few years ago it was out of production like APX100 but it's recently been produced by another company (A&O Imaging Solutions? can't remember what it says on the bottle) under the Agfa name.

10. Fotohuis

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    End 2005 the whole production of also Agfa chemicals in Vaihingen/Enz was stopped. A&O bought in 2006 the chemical production plant and is the new owner and half 2006 they produced again. I think they used up all old packing material first because only recently the packing is changed by a new label:
    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=362340545&size=o

11. wclavey

wclavey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do not know FP4+ as a film... I shoot much Arista EDU Ultra 100 (4x5) which I know is FOMA, and I have been using the FOMA R09 on that as we have discussed in another thread. I just purchased a small box of FP4+ to try it out and did my first 6 negatives in the R09 (last night, they are drying now). What is the reason for your comment? I'd like to know what to look for in assessing those 6 negatives.

Thanks, so much. Your information on Rodinal and R09 has been great.

12. Fotohuis

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    About the 4x5" format I should not worry too much about my comment. When doing 35mm the difference in grain between APX100/Rollei Retro and FP4+ with Rodinal with a magnification of 15x has much more relevance.

13. stormbytes

stormbytes Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have absolutely no idea what the hell I'm doing, but a few months back I exposed a 35mm roll (36 exp) of TX400 in 1/3rd - 320/640/1000 iso and developed in Rodinal 1:25 semi-stand for about 30 minutes. Agitation was very minimal. First 30s & then 5s at each 5 mins or so.

Contrast sucked. I mean it was certainly printable and the tones were mostly there, but there was absolutely no 'punch' to the images, and I've yet to see this mystical "accutance" everyone's raving about.

After reading some info posted on Flickr groups (see Fotohuis link above) i went downstairs and developed another roll from the above batch (was exposed in the same way) in Rodinal 1:50/10 mins, agitation was 1st min & then 5s each 1 min.

I've yet to print the negs as they are drying, but I instantly observed a marked improvement in contrast. I'm curious to hear what light can be shed on the subject by folks more knowledgeable then myself.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Fotohuis

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In principle Rodinal (a para-amino phenol developer) is suitable for slow and medium speed classical (cubical) film emulsions. So Tmax, Delta is IMO much less suitable in the Rodinal development.
    Try classical films in the iso range from E.I. 20-200 and you will see what I mean.

Maybe one exception: Fuji Acros 100 (Sigma technology) is also doing fine in Rodinal at an E.I. of 64-80.

One of the best Rodinal (1+50) combinations is with Agfa APX 100 (new) or the equivalent Rollei Retro 100 film.

http://gallery.fotohuisrovo.nl/thumbnails.php?album=11
    But even a Technical Pan film can be developed under high dilution (1+150, so low contrast developer) in Rodinal.
    http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documentatie/Development_Rollei films.pdf

Best regards,

Robert

16. stormbytes

stormbytes Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    what exactly would i be looking for in trying one of these films with Rodinal?

17. Fotohuis

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Best characteristics for Rodinal:

Very sharp
    Pronounced edge effect
    Nice grey tonal range

In discussion:

Pronounced grain
    (But the overall effect depends on your agitation method)

Advantage:

Liquid developer, easy in handling
    Very long storage time (> 10 years)
    Relative cheap (Approx. Eur. 12,- for 500ml) which is able to do about almost 100 films.

My advice:
    Rodinal with:
    APX 100/400 (Rollei Retro 100/400) resp. E.I. 80/E.I. 250
    Fuji Acros 100 (E.I. 64)
    Pan F (E.I. 50)
    Rollei PAN 25
    Efke 25/Maco UP25
    Rollei Ortho 25
    Fomapan 100 (E.I. 80)
    Fomapan 200 (E.I. 125-160)

The last one can give some very old style images:
    http://gallery.fotohuisrovo.nl/thumbnails.php?album=5

BTW R09 (Fomadon or Calbe) is the pre WWII version of Rodinal. The lifetime of these versions are much more limited and they will pronounce more grain.

If you're interested you can look at our Flickr Rodinal versus R09 comparision:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/rodinal/discuss/72157601393747142/

Regards,

Robert

18. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually Robert you're very wrong.

Rodinal gives exceptionally good results with modern films like APX100, Tmax100 etc, I assume it would be the same with Delta100. Over the past few years I've known a lot of photographers who swear by the APX/Tmax and Rodinal combination, all getting excellent fine grain, very good sharpness and tonality.

I used the combination myself for 35mm, 120 & 5x4 and the results for APX100 & Tmax100 (EI50) are indistinguishable.

Ian

19. Fotohuis

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's OK to me if that's your opinon.

If you're going to modern technology type films I should do another choice than Rodinal. :smile:

But the same is valid for rotary development. The nice edge effect of Rodinal is then completely wrecked.

But if you're happy with Tmax and Rodinal, who am I to go in any discussion with you.

20. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I beg to differ re: Rodinal and T-Max! I am not a t-grain film fan. I spent several years, many different devs and many, many rolls of t-grain films trying to get them to look good. Eventually I went back to traditional films.

A couple of years ago a friend gave me 2 rolls of T-Max 100 to play with. I had never souped this film in Rodinal. Rodinal gave me the best negs I have ever gotten with this film.

But, that is why photography is also an art and that is why there is more than one film and more than one dev. Photographers were made to disagree! :smile:

I do agreee than APX 100 and Rodinal is just about perfect.

21. thefizz

thefizz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I soup most of my 120 Tri-X in Rodinal 1:50 and love it. I also like Panf & Acros in Rodinal.

22. Schlapp

Schlapp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Chuck all films in together with 1:200. twiddle about a bit, leave for 1 hour, give another twiddle. finish development after around 2hours - ish. Lovely job.

23. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I was told earlier in the week that A&O may be looking at dumping the entire Agfa chemical line.

Ed

24. Fotohuis

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nice if they would like to do that: To us :smile:

They just changed their labels a few months ago:

[​IMG]

25. stormbytes

stormbytes Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format