Rodinal w/HC-110

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by jim appleyard, Feb 19, 2005.

1. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I remember reading about a couple of folks (can't remember where now) who mixed up Rodinal and added a small shot of HC-110 syrup to it. Anyone here ever try it and can you share dilutions, times and experiences? TIA, Jim

2. NikoSperi

NikoSperi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, now you're just tryin to get me confused! And here I was testing to keep them apart... :confused:

3. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have never heard of it...but I have both so I might give it a try...

Morten

4. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know there are folks who mix up rodinal and xtol....

5. john_s

john_s Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I suppose you would have to compare the mixture with:

Rodinal for half the time followed by HC-110 for half the time, and

HC-110 followed by Rodinal..........

Seriously, I have read of people who have done something like this with 2 dissimilar developers, but I don't remember the details. Maybe it was something like a full speed developer followed by a dilute compensating developer.

6. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I've thought of this (having two separate devs in two separate baths), but what got me curious was simply adding a small amount of HC-110 to an already existing Rodinal mix. I know I saw it somewhere...

If no one here has tried it, I will try it like any Evil Scientist would!

7. Perikles

Perikles Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    and please let us know about results :smile:

8. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Al Doyle, one of the big subminiature gurus (the one who allegedly sells counterfeit Minolta 16 cassettes) recommends (for microfilm in pictorial applications) a developer he calls "mixer" that is exactly that -- Rodinal 1:100 plus a few drops (in a couple ounces of working solution) of HC-110 stock solution; he claims the HC-110 adds latitude and film speed while the Rodinal preserves accutance. I haven't tried it, after finding that HC-110 Dilution G and greatly reduced agitation worked just fine with my microfilm (Imagelink HQ and Copex Rapid).

My take on it is that mixing different developers will simply "muddy the water" -- you'll get a generic multi-agent developer instead of the distinctive appearance of Rodinal -- but I haven't actually tried it because I don't use Rodinal for anything else and so didn't have any around.