Rodinol in Canada

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by timbo10ca, Dec 12, 2007.

1. timbo10ca

timbo10ca Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does anybody have a current supplier in Canada they would recommend?

Tim

2. richard ide

richard ide Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought some not too long ago from Downtown Camera in Toronto. Shopping in Ottawa is a waste of time.

3. timbo10ca

timbo10ca Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Too bad- don't see any darkroom equipment or chemicals on their website. Thanks though.

4. CRhymer

CRhymer Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Photo Central in Winnipeg used to have it and at the best price in North America, when some people were paying $80.00 @ bottle on eBay. I haven't been there since June, so maybe it is no longer available. I would be pleased to find out. I always got good service from them.

http://www.photocentral.ca/contact/map.htm

I see that their web site is pretty much digi##l. Pity.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Former Winnipegger.

5. timbo10ca

timbo10ca Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes- they're great. That's where I do all my business. They've been out of Rodinal for a while. When I spoke to them the other day, they said they have a line on a supplier and hope to start bringing it in early in the new year. I was just wondering if I might find it elsewhere in the meantime.

Their site is heavily digital, but they still have a large selection of film and darkroom materials.

Tim

6. Dinesh

Dinesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was at Downtown camera last week and they had boatloads of Rodinal.

I think it was somewhere aroung 19.00 per bottle.

Give 'em a call (416) 363-1749

7. David William White

David William White Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not on Website, but store has stock!

They have a very fine selection of papers as well. Just not listed on their website.

8. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Timbo, check out Technicare, on Adelaide.

That's where Photo Central told me to go to look for Polaroid Type 55...I've never been there, but apparently they're a wholesaler/warehouse type of deal...they seemed worried enough about the competition to make me promise to come back to them!

Worth a look...I'll be coming in to Wpg. in a week or so, we should meet up.

9. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Good to hear Photo Central has found a supplier - I enquired with A&O in Germany a number of months ago now, and was told they didn't have a Canadian supplier set up as yet - hopefully that's been rectified :smile:

I like Photo Central as well - unlike Don's they still have a majority of staff who don't look at you funny when you talk about film. I was just in there yesterday, and I see a fresh stock of Kodak and Ilford b&w film, at least in 35mm behind the counter. Always encouraging :smile:

Someone told me about Technicare a few weeks ago as well - their website lists Polaroid film, but when I called they were out of stock (of the 66x series pack film - I don't have a 4x5 camera as yet). Unfortunately in that at least they're only a couple of $$ cheaper than Don's, and with much less convenient hours for me. However, the guy who referred me to them said he picked up basically an entire low-end darkroom outfit including, I believe, a cheap and/or used enlarger for a couple of hundred $$. I also think their deal is more wholesale, especially given their "regular" business hours, they just happen to sell to the public if they ask (they don't seem to advertise much to the public, if any). If I get a day off at some point I do want to take a walk through their facility just to see what they've got.

10. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It sounds like a great place...I'll try let you both know when I can come into the city again, we can make a field trip of it!

What are Technicare's hours, BTW? A phone number would help also, especially for us out-of-towners.

11. Larry.Manuel

Larry.Manuel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Rodinal in Canada - see Henrys.com

Look at Henrys.com. I believe it is currently available there, in 500ml size at $15.99. A couple weeks ago, I ordered some film from there and the shipping was free. They state that liquids can be shipped within Canada, but it doesn't sound like that will be free.

try this: http://tinyurl.com/33qjpy

I'm a great Rodinal fan. Mine is ten years old, and works great. It is so economical, it is almost a joke, with 6 ml to develop a 35 mm roll of 36 exposures. I love it for 135 Delta 100 and 120 FP4+ and Tmax 400.

12. MartinB

MartinB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Calgary

Tim,

There is at least 1 store in Calgary with Rodinal in stock - not sure if it is worth the shipping cost but if you know anyone coming to Calgary for the holidays ...
    Alternatively, I could pick some up and send it Greyhound?

Martin

13. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Their website is here - you'll have to click on the "Contact Us" page and select Winnipeg.

I believe when I asked last time they said they were open 8:30-5, Mon-Fri, but I could be wrong about that. In any event, they aren't open late or on the weekends at all, so as I said, inconvenient for the general public :sad:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. timbo10ca

timbo10ca Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great- thanks everybody. I'll look into Technicare also- whoever gets there first, post the findings! Colin and Mabman- It'd be cool to get together. Colin, when are you coming into town? I'm gone the 20-27th. I have monday afternoons off, so it would be the best day for me. Not this coming one, unfortunatley though. There was talk waaaaaaaaaaaaay back about doing a Winnipeg APUG get-together at PrarieView, but Craig's too busy. Haven't seen him around APUG for quite a while either.

Martin- I appreciate the offer. I actually have friends coming in Jan/Feb- ish. What's the store's name and where is it?

Larry- thanks for the Henry's tip. I love that place, but didn't think to look- I find that they have less and less film- related stuff as time goes by :sad:
    Tim

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2007
  16. timbo10ca

timbo10ca Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Colin and Mabman:
    While waiting for a return call from Technicare (they have no chemicals currently in stock BTW) to see if it was possible to bring in Rodinal, I gave Henry's a call. They have an order currently with their supplier, expecting shipment in 1-2 weeks. Flat rate shipping to Winnipeg would be $22.50 to get however many bottles you want.

Out of curiosity, Henry's is selling 500ml for $16. What is the going rate around Canada? Freestyle in the States has it for $12, and our dollar is still near par.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2007
  17. thebanana

thebanana Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Maybe we could do a group order if the shipping is the same for any amount? I'm up for a group outing at some point, but maybe when it's just a tad warmer:cool:

18. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd be up for a Winnipeg APUG chapter getting started. I'm in on the 21st to the 26th, so maybe next time.

I've also never used Rodinal - still keeping it basic as I'm starting out; I've shot TMax100 and HP5 in 4x5, and want to explore that for a while. But, I am not averse to a little experimenting -- I could be persuaded to chip in for a bottle of Rodinal if it makes it easier to place an order.

19. RooX

RooX Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    hey Martin,

which store in Calgary has rodinal? I didnt see any at the camera store last weekend, only place i have looked lately.

cheers

20. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Freestyle (or any other US retailer) is a no-go for liquid chemistry of any sort - I asked about this with Freestyle and B&H, and was told the same thing - due to shipping regulations liquid chemistry is designated "hazardous materials", and they won't ship them across the border (and I believe most of the sites say they'll only ship them via ground shipping to the lower 48 states as well).

Interestingly, powdered chemistry has no such restrictions - I believe Photographer's Formulary has powdered generic versions of Rodinal (paraminephenol) if you get really desperate :smile:

To be honest to date I've only used HC-110, but I'm interested in Rodinal to see what it looks like, and I've come across some references to +4 and +5 pushing of Tri-X in it that I'd like to try at some point. I'd also be willing to buy a bottle of it, as it's supposed to last nearly forever when properly sealed.

As for a meetup, that would be fine with me, too. I do work full-time, so it would have to be evenings/weekends for the most part.

21. timbo10ca

timbo10ca Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Photographer's Formulary stopped selling their Rodinal because people didn't like it- the way it mixes, I think. They will send some liquids to Canada, toxic ones too- I've got Pyrocat HC on its way.

I've also been using HC-110, and am looking for an alternative so was just wanting one bottle. I find with my technique I need HC-110 at dil H to get long enough dev times! I find my negs kinda soft and low contrast (good for some stuff, not others). I used Rodinal once for HP5+ and liked the effect ok- got similar results to my FP4+ in Ilfosol S (which I canned due to shelf life). Someone mentioned trying Rodinal again.

If you and Colin want a bottle each, I can order 3 and we can split shipping. Then if we don't hook up and I have 3 bottles, I'm not out much- I'll use it anyway.

banana- you want in on this action? We've been trying to hook up for a year now, right?

Tim

22. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, if you can convince someone to ship it, I'll take a bottle, and be happy to split the shipping.

Actually, I just bought a whack of expired film from a guy that arrived last night, which included some APX400, which I've never played with - supposed to be a good combo with Rodinal.

Didn't know about Photographer's Formulary and their Rodinal - good to know. Also, The Frugal Photographer out of Calgary used to repackage genuine liquid Rodinal into IV-like bags that looked handy - but I asked him about it recently as it's no longer on the site, and was told it actually wasn't very popular so he stopped doing it.

So, yes, for me, go ahead - PM me if/when it comes in :smile: (Sorry, I'm still a little pessimistic that it will actually get shipped and arrive properly, but I'm in favour of giving it a shot.)

23. timbo10ca

timbo10ca Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Order placed. Stopwatch started.

24. toadhall

toadhall Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just to clarify ... did you order it from Henry's? Since there seem to be more than one firm selling Rodinal, did you get the brand/source?

John

25. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've always wondered about Pyrocat - why one would use that and not another developer...more education needed to figure that one out.

Thanks, but I'm not interested in HC110 - although it's been many years, I wasn't liking what it did with my B&W film. I think if I'm going to go with familiar ones, I'll stick with D76 and maybe try my hand at new ones like Rodinal or Pyro to see what they can do for me.

When I come in to the big city, it's Fri-Sun so the timing sounds right for me.

Also, an email from Technicare says Polaroid 55 is $90/box, special ordered...approx. 3 weeks.

26. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like you need to learn how to make the acetominophen version of Rodinal. I hear it works just like the Agfa Rodinal, best thing is it can be made from local supplies. A search of the forums should turn up the recipe.