Rollei 35 dilemma

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by puketronic, Sep 20, 2013.

1. puketronic

puketronic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    OK sorry if this is a silly dilemma.

I love my Rollei 35, but I dislike carrying cameras without neck straps. I've even dropped mine once or twice (but it still works fine).

I have two solutions to improve my Rollei 35 experience:
    1. Get a lanyard strap (or something similar). Anyone do this with this camera or something similar (like a P&S, light digital camera, and etc.). I feel that it might feel kind of silly/awkard as I'm not used to carrying cameras sideways or upside down (like if I used the tripod socket).

2. Get a Zhou case and use a nice neck strap. I generally do not like cases but $60 to use a neck strap might be worth it, I guess. How is the quality? I like the look and it seems secure enough. I've never bought a camera case but I hated the cheesy ones on my Konica Auto S2 (it came with the camera).

I also feel that this camera might be too light to carry around the neck, not sure.

The other option is to just get a collapsible Elmar on my M, but that is a different scenario all together.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2013
  2. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bought a case from jyippie08 on eBay, decent quality, and firmly attaches into the tripod bush.

3. Nathan Riehl

Nathan Riehl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a Yashica T4 with the leather case it normally comes with, and I took the neck lanyard off of another point and shoot. That seems to work pretty well, and the Yashica T4 is certainly more cheaply made. I think the photo quality is about equal though.

4. onepuff

onepuff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Have you considered a small case on a belt? The camera is then always to hand and also doesn't swing about. I am the opposite to you and dislike straps so I use my pocket or in warmer weather I use a belt pack.

5. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Do you have the wrist strap it came with?

6. hdeyong

hdeyong Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    A small camera bag, besides looking nice if you get a good leather one, also holds extra film, a battery, (if necessary), and a notepad and pen.
    I've been carrying my camera this way for a long time and enjoy it. Just leave the lid unzipped for quick access when you need it.

7. Timestep

Timestep Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I find that the Lowepro FS 10 belt case fits the Rollei 35 perfectly — also perfect for the Seconic L398 ( Norwood ) meter.

8. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Zhou case for the Rollei 35 is great.

9. mablo

mablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The Rollei 35 uses a special connector for the strap, so you'll need that connector to adapt the wrist strap for a neck strap.

I like the idea of the tripod-mounted strap. A half case would also work, although you obviously have to take it out of the case to change film.

11. puketronic

puketronic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Truth is that i sometimes like it for without any unnecessary bulk and annoyances from unnecessary straps and cases. It makes it small and semi-pocketable.

Not sure, I think that I'm trying to convince my self that this camera isn't perfect and needs a useless accessory.

I don't like wrist straps, at all.

I may consider a tripod-mounted neck strap or perhaps a case but for now I'm going to leave it as is.

12. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    My personal feeling is that a wrist strap is a useful accessory with this camera. Far too many people drop their cameras, and with this camera in particular, the wrist strap really does its job.

Although the camera is durable, dropping it can damage the lens, deform the viewfinder or deform the back. None of that is good for the camera.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2013
  13. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I used to have a Leica Cl that was strap challenged. Putting two strap lugs on the same side of the camera was not a wise design decision. I bought a Mr Zhou case for it that enabled me to carry it like a regular camera, and it made all the difference in the world. His cases are very well made, and more importantly, well designed.