Rollei 35 Glue

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by EdColorado, Feb 5, 2017.

1. EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm working on my Rollei 35S

A while back the lens front name ring went missing. I was able to source a new one, and upon looking through the repair manual I see that it is to be glued into place. There are three flat screw heads which hold the distance scale in place and that stick up providing the only points to glue the ring to. Looking in the service manual Rollei calls for "plastic glue P500". Does anyone know what kind of glue they would be referring to? I tried using Pliobond, letting both sides tack up real well before putting the parts together, but the glue doesn't hold to the screw heads very well at all. I Googled P500 glue and there is one that comes in a spray can and looks be a silicone adhesive for automotive windshields. Doesn't seem like something I want near my Rollei.

Any suggestions?

2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used Loctite adhesive gel for some similar things.
    It's thick and doesn't seem to get brittle. Use a tooth pick to apply it.

3. EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So will the bond let go later if the lens has to be worked on? The name ring will have to be pried off if I were needing to work on the lens.

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A rubber cement should hold good to metal, as your screw heads. Maybe you did not degrease their surfaces.

Rubber cement is a glue where you got a chance to get it loose again. With cyanacrylate that is unrealistic in many cases.

5. EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm a bit worried about using a CA glue too AgX. I'll clean the screw heads again and give the Pliobond another try.

6. choiliefan

choiliefan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I wouldn't use CA either. A couple dabs of Pliobond or another contact adhesive will work very well.

7. EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did a better job of cleaning, and this time it looks like the Pliobond is working fine. The ring seems solid. Thanks all for the helpful comments!