Rollei 35 LED

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by sionnac, Jan 19, 2014.

1. sionnac

sionnac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello. I'm in San Francisco and I have a Rollei 35 LED that is missing the battery cover that screws in at the top. Can anyone recommend a source to find another one? I've looked on ebay for a parts camera and no luck so far. Thanks for any leads. Dana

2. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It'd be worth giving Glass Key in the Lower Haight a call. He has boxes of various cameras in various states of repair and such-
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Glass-Key-Photo/119199231470385

Have you tried covers from other cameras? I've had luck with a Pentax battery cover on a Nikon. Not sure what the Rollei 35 LED cover looks like, but in the manual it has a rather typical look to it.

4. sionnac

sionnac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the suggestions - will contact.

5. sionnac

sionnac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks all - was able to buy one from Harry Fleenor.

6. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Just to add to this conversation, a few things about this model:

- First off, the battery is only necessary for the meter. That's true of any of the Rollei 35 models, except for the B35, which has a selenium meter and requires no battery.

- When you use the meter with a Rollei 35, try to point it slightly toward the ground or straight ahead. Don't point it upward, as the sky will affect the meter reading.

- In general, I think the models with the Triotar aren't as sturdy as those with this Tessar or Sonnar. They use too much plastic and just lack a solid feel to them.

- Don't force anything on a Rollei 35, particularly the film advance lever. You can damage some of the internal gearing, especially on those with the Triotar.

- The shutter must be tensioned (cocked) before the lens can be collapsed.

- The Triotar is a decent lens. I don't think it's as good as a Tessar, but by f/8 you probably won't notice a difference.

Good luck with the camera. They are a lot of fun to use and certainly very compact and unobtrusive.

7. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    IMHO Triotar is the best lens on small Rolleis and oldest Rolleis. I have 3 Sonnar and I could not warm them. Triotar is an line catching monster and even sky is like cut with a razor. Dont underestimate , you have one of the best lenses ever.