Rollei 35 S photometer battery

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Mustafa Umut Sarac, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have a Rollei 35 S.

I want to use its photometer . As you know there are two orange , one white dial at the top. There is no battery inside and the orange dials are not moving when I move the speed , aperture dials at the front. Is this normal ?
    I opened the camera and there is a battery hole inside and empty. How will I attach the battery to this place ? Might there be a cover there ? If yes , Where can I find this cover ?

Thanks ,

Umut

2. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The orange indicator with the circle should move when the aperture or speed dial is turned. The white needle will react to varying light (assuming your finger is not over the meter sensor - a common issue).

The battery required is a 625 1.35volt mercury cell - no longer available as you may already know. I use a 1.5volt 357 silver oxide cell in a converter made from a diode and 625 case.

There should be a silver insert (cover) that screws in over the battery and supports the end of the film cartridge. Other than a parts camera, I don't know where you'd find a replacement.

3. JimCouch

JimCouch Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Wein cells are 1.3v and work well in the Rollei cameras.

Umet, I have a spare cap from a dead 35s if you can't fine one locally. Not sure what it would cost to get it from the US to you though.

4. tim k

tim k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you see the battery contacts? I wonder if your looking at the recessed hole in the battery cap.

5. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    tim k ,

Yes , You are completely right , I found that it is the cap. Thank you !

Umut

6. tim k

tim k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey, I was right about something..... how about that.

The first time I went looking for it, I didn't see it either.

7. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Mustafa, The old mercury batteries are no longer produced. However, you can use an adapter etc See: www.criscam.com

Regards

Hans

8. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You can get away with using a zinc-air hearing aid battery. Sometimes, you'll need a small spacer. A metal washer or some aluminum foil will do.

The criscam adapter will work, but in general you can buy two packs of 10 hearing-aid batteries for the price of one adapter.

Some cameras need the physical shape of the old 625/PX13 battery. This isn't one of them.

9. LeoC4

LeoC4 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Any chance you still have the spare cap? I was given a Rollei35, but the battery cap is missing.