Rollei 35 Service

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by wfwhitaker, Aug 11, 2006.

1. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just joined the ranks and picked up a Rollei 35. I've secretly wanted one since they came out when I was a kid. And besides, it's a nice change of pace from ULF! This one's in nice shape, but the slower shutter speeds drag. What are recommended repair shops? Offhand I would guess Harry Fleenor, but would also appreciate suggestions.

2. tbm

tbm Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I spoke with Henry Fleenor two weeks ago re cleaning and examining a Rollei TLR built in 1950 that I bought last week, and he informed me that he is behind three months with a backlog of numerous Rolleis in his shop that need working on. Thus, perform a Google search stating "Rolleiflex repairs" and I cannot doubt you will find an alternative.

Terry

3. Petzi

Petzi Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Franke & Heidecke do repairs for Rollei 35 cameras:

Franke & Heidecke GmbH
    Salzdahlumer Str. 196
    38126 Braunschweig
    Germany

4. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Will,

You may want to try Krikor Maralian at:

Krimar Photo Shop
    105 Broadway # B
    Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
    (201) 796-0554

Krikor has worked on my Rollei 3.5F 12/24 Planar for years and I purchased my Rollei 35S from Krikor as well.

Rich

5. mmerig

mmerig Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Krikor repaired my Rollei 35 S - CLA shutter, re-coupled the film-speed dial to the meter system, checked and adjusted the meter, and repaired the lens retracting guides (the lens was quite loose when extracted and twist-locked.

He is very fast, not very expensive, and a nice person. Highly recommended!

6. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He's not behind, that's pretty much his standard wait and there's a simple reason for that. Years ago I had the attitude to go elsewhere and did so not wanting to wait. Mistake. Later I got a couple of Rolleis re-repaired by him. The time goes fast and he's worth the wait and his cost.

7. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    essex camera repair in NJ did a lovely job on mine, very quick turnaround. they charge $70 or $80 to do a rollei 35, plus shipping of course.

http://www.essexcamera.com/camera_list.php?brand=ROLLEI

8. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. Too old to care

Too old to care Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    May not be something you want to do, but with a few basic hand tools you can do this yourself. I have cleaned my 35SE a couple of times over the last 30 years I have owned it, for the same reasons you are experiencing. Only tools needed is a spanner, or paper clip bent in the middle, some small screw drivers, needle noise pliers, and denatured alcohol to clean the gear train and clock oil to re-oil it. Remove the film advance lever with the paper clip. Remove the film release lever, screws on the ends, and take off top. Mark the gears (film advance) with a Sharpie so you can assemble them correctly. Remove them and locate the governor under the top plate on the left as viewed from the rear. Use a brush and the alcohol to clean the gear train. There is a little rocker there that runs on a notched wheel that provides the slower speeds. Once clean lubricate it with clock oil (very little needed) and reassemble. This sounds complicated, but it is not. My exposures are still spot on, so the cleaning does not mess with the shutter speeds, thus no adjustments are needed.

10. frogfroggy

frogfroggy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you come to Berlin someday, I could take you to Marland Service (Marland-service.de). They specialize in Rollei 35s. I got my two Rollei 35s T and S repaired by them. They repair them with a fast turnaround time. And if your in Berlin I could show you the city while taking awesome pictures of this wonderful city !!