Rollei ATP 1.1 in 120, tips to prevent curling?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by PKM-25, Feb 5, 2012.

1. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I souped my first roll of ATP 1.1 in 120 last night, Rodinal 1/300. Film came out clean, but curled like a taquito, had to tape it in a glass carrier ( of which I did neg in upsided down and got newton rings ).

I would like to be able to use this film in medium format but the curling issue....wow, what a drag.
    Anyone come up with a reliable way to minimize this downside?

2. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Keep the back paper with the spool. After drying, roll up the film inverse in the spool and let it there for some days.

3. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks!

I knew there was another reason to keep my backing paper and spools, I'll give it a try!

4. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I think that worked, thanks!

5. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PKM, film curl is pretty much dictated by gelatin <> base ratio. Humidity affects this by altering the contraction/expansion of the gelatin against the base.

People have tried all kinds of tricks short of parking their car on top of cut negatives, but in the end the gelatin will still almost always pull the base inwards because that's what it wants to do. Jacking up the humidity helps counter-act this, but if you're in a low humidity environment then fully expect super-curl to happen.

Some films are better than others in the curl department because, IMO, the manufacturer has less aggressive gelatin to base ratio. PE would have some thoughts on this for sure.

6. ctsundevil

ctsundevil Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    When Kodak came out with non-curling film (over 100 years ago), they coated both sides of the film base with gelatin. Emulsion on one side, clear gelatin on the other.

7. WRSchmalfuss

WRSchmalfuss Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dry the roll film 120 always in an fairly dry and cold place! I never had any problems with curling of polyester film materials, 35mm or roll film 120! :wink: