Rollei C-41 back in stock at Freestyle

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by nbagno, Jul 9, 2013.

1. nbagno

nbagno Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  2. tnabbott

tnabbott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Slightly off topic, but does Freestyle seem to market film photography as an "alternative" process these days? This turns me off of Freestyle, since I believe results from film can be as pure, clean, and moving as any thing produced by digital means. See the attached photo, not particularly moving, but which I shot on film and developed at home.

Attached Files:

3. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You mean the inkjet stuff?

4. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nothing listed as alternative there. Don't know where you'd get that. Freestyle is a big booster of film photography.

But am I the only one that HATES their new web site design and preferred the old one by a factor of at least ten times?

5. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the new design because I feel it's more functionally useful, but I wish the inkjet stuff wouldn't be on the front page, personally.

6. Terry Christian

Terry Christian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The old kit was Rollei Digibase, which was standard spec C-41, i.e., separate bleach and fix. This new kit seems to be a blix, which explains why they say it's good for beginners.

7. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Beginners will also enjoy the option to process their film at 113F.

8. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a shame that they have changed the old Digibase kit. I was hoping Fresstyle would get it back in stock just as it was before but now i think i would start buying individual chems as i don't want to use blix.
    Why did they change something as good as the Digibase kit? As they say, don't mess with something that is working.
    Before Freestyle started selling Digibase i used the Tetenal kit that also have bleach and fix combined as blix and have now been forced to use that again but i don't get negatives as good as with the old Digibase kit.

9. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Heh heh, they call it Bleach-Fix rather than Blix.

10. Terry Christian

Terry Christian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It seems this new kit's saving grace is that it is a liquid concentrate, like the old Digibase, so one could easily mix up only as much volume as one needs and save the rest for future batches.

11. RPC

RPC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The term "blix" is, or was at one time, proprietary to another company.

12. madgardener

madgardener Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So for those that want to try developing with a separate bleach and fixer that is highly advocated by PE, what are the choices available? I've been using the Unicolor kit, and while I seem to be having decent luck, I would like to see the difference a separate bleach and fix would make.

13. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Namely Unicolor. It seems to have become the standard, though.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The problem is always the bleach. Not many options that I can find. The Kodak C-41 bleach replenisher is readily available, but it's expensive -- neighborhood of $50 for five liters. Not exactly kit size. The fixer repenisher is easier to find and much cheaper. By consensus (based on my own reading here and elsewhere) the starters for these chemicals don't seem to be necessary. Anyway, uniquephoto.com stocks -- and ships -- all of these items.

16. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Somebody enlighten me. It has been my belief that Rollei went out of business in 1979.

17. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They've been secretly manufacturing chemicals for the last 30 years on the down low. Everyone without a first name of "Tom" was let in on the secret back in '81.

18. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I guess it's true--ask a dumb question and you get a dumb answer. Apparently they only discontinued the Rolleiflex then, not went out of business totally.

19. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can still buy a brand new Rolleiflex today, or could just a few years ago. They won't assemble it until someone buys it, and they will then do it out of parts in stock, and it will cost a pretty absurd amount (thousands) but I'm pretty sure you could buy a new one as recently as 2010 at least.

20. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  21. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I also like their new site better, I agree with the poster that said its functionally better, it's more organized and easier to find stuff.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

22. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I am out of C-41 at the moment and need some. I believe a personal visit to Freestyle this weekend is in order.

23. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I've got 20 rolls of 120 C-41 I've been trying to trade for months now... Look up my posts for WTT :smile:

24. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Got film

...need chems

25. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    That's what I get for sleeping after reading a thread and coming back the next day forgetting what the thread was all about.... LOL

I have a 1L jobo kit, question, the e6 kits tell you a calculation for extending the time for each roll past the first, with c-41 of you want to re-use the chems, how do you calculate the extended time? Or is it different where it just works till exhaustion with no extension in time?

26. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shrug. The new site doesn't even work properly for me much of the time. Things don't show up in the right place, the filter function is flakey - sometimes it works but it excludes stuff it shouldn't and includes stuff it shouldn't, and I just generally think it's ugly. But I like functional over flashy. I HATE the new Yahoo mail compared to the old one, for example. It wasn't broke, but they fixed it anyway and poured ugly all over it. IMNSHO of course. :wink: