Rollei CR 200: Should I have to downrate it?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by ntenny, Aug 9, 2009.

1. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has anyone else found Rollei's CR 200 slide film (or Agfa RSX II, apparently the same emulsion) to need a bit of downrating?

I'm not sure I've gotten it right yet, but when I've shot it at 200, the slides clearly were a little underexposed, and I'm now experimenting with rating it at 160 instead. I'd assumed this was a metering issue with the camera I was using (it's a 1970s rangefinder that expects 1.35V and is getting 1.5V instead), but I just compared the meter on that camera with a Canon AE-1, which has historically metered quite well, and found them nicely aligned. So I'm thinking the camera may be metering correctly, and I'm actually finding that the film needs a bit of downrating compared to box speed.

Am I nuts?

-NT

2. WRSchmalfuss

WRSchmalfuss Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Rollei Digibase CR200

This slide film will be my only film for the near future to feed my medium format cameras and my scanner. The film emulsion is in opposite to the former Agfa RSX 200, now coated on a modern polyester film base.

Especially, I like the natural colors of this film very much for landscape, portrait and close-up photography! The roll film is easy to handle, sufficient sharp and has a fine grain for a ISO 200 film, and the film is easy for scanning. The film should have also the capacity to be pushed up to ISO 400 and more.

Cheers:wink:

3. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I shot it at 200 and I really like it. I did find that it looked good just a little (not much) underexposed.......

4. SMG

SMG Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Having shot about 10 rolls of AGFA Chrome 200 (which is akin if not the same as RSX II) I find that it does do better underexposed a bit. I have been metering it at ISO200 but have found that the results are better when I underexpose by 1 stop or so. I have been running this film with a circular polarizer on my Mamiya 645 and rating it at 160 on the Sekonic when metering. I should have some rolls next week that will tell if this works, but I suspect that it will be more underexposed than I wanted. I think I should have metered it at 125 with the CP. We'll see soon. I will post some scans when I get this stuff processed.