Rollei Digibase C-41 kits in at Freestyle

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by 2F/2F, Aug 24, 2010.

1. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good news! The title sums it up. I just got my new catalog in the mail today, and the kits are on page 38. It is pretty affordable; almost comparable to the cost per roll that I get by reusing the old (discontinued) Kodak one-gallon kit once (32 rolls for about $50). 10-12 roll kit is $18 and 20-24 roll kit is $30. The bottles are shown, and the kit has a separate bleach and fixer, like the bona fide C-41 process. :cool:

2. B&Wpositive

B&Wpositive Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I noticed these as well, and am quite interested. I've been wanting to try C-41 processing for sometime now. Never having done C-41 before, I am however concerned about the safety of the stabilizer due to the formaldehyde. I was wondering, is it possible with modern color films to omit this step? I think I remember some talk about another (safer) chemical mixture that could be substituted for stabilizer (called final rinse) made by Kodak and available at Adorama. This is my only concern about doing C-41. These kits do look nice, though, and are probably what I'd want to use (sans stabilizer if at all possible - please let it be possible!!).

3. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stabilizer has not been part of the C-41 process for some time. It was replaced with Final Rinse.

4. PVia

PVia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I saw this and am looking forward to trying it in my Phototherm...!

Now if someone could make an E6 kit like this, we'd be all set ;-)

5. mikecnichols

mikecnichols Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This makes me so excited. I have been building my darkroom for the past couple of months and want to dive into color processing! All the reading I have done points to the separate bleach and fix steps, and now an affordable way to do so! One question though, all the reading has also pointed to using Stabilizer in the process. What's the difference between this and Final Rinse? Does Final Rinse not have formalin in it at all? When did Final Rinse become the "norm" if it is?

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. mikecnichols

mikecnichols Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks! That helped a lot.

8. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Received my Digibase C-41 kit from Freestyle a week or so ago and I'm excited to try it.

I still have some capacity left in my Arista chems. I had great joy from the Arista set so I'm expecting even better from the Digibase.

Life is Great !