Rollei Digibase C-41

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by steelneck, May 11, 2010.

1. steelneck

steelneck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If some of you have any experience with the Rollei Digibase C-41 chemistry, please share your thoughts about it.

I have not been able to find much official info or users writing about it. From what i been able to read it seem to be optimized for hobbyist use, it looks like it can be mixed in very small batches down to a single film (250ml) while still maintaining the shelf life of the remaining opened concentrates. True?

2. kompressor

kompressor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes its all true. It is also the best C41 chemistry ever made. I have never before seen so flawles negatives as after i switched to Rollei Digibase C41 chemistry. I mix 1 litre at a time and use it in a Jobomachine. My E6 use have fallen drastic after i started to use digibase. Im adding a few pictures shot on Portra 160NC and developed in Digibase C41. I buy mine in Europe at macodirect.de

Attached Files:

3. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    is there any distributors in the USA, anyone know?

also, is it a bleach/fix(blix) or separate baths?

and how many rolls or 120 or sheets of 8x10(same square inches) per kit, singe shot chemistry?

thanks

-Dan

4. steelneck

steelneck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    @DanielStone: Yes it is bleach and fix, not blix. Here is a link to the manual at macodirect.de:
    http://www.macodirect.de/download/C41_InstructionManual.pdf

The developer is made of four concentrates, A B C and starter, bleach, fix and stab of one concentrate each, so it is 7 different concentrates. The different "sets" for 10-12, 20-24, 50-60 and 100-110 films comes with syringes and dosage tips to make batches down to 250ml. The concentrates can also be bought separate. The manual also have development times for temperatures from 45 (2min) down to roomtemp, 20 degrees centigrade (21min).

5. steelneck

steelneck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    At what temperature/time do you use it?

Somewhere i also read a rumor(?) that it is actually Fuji that is manufacturing this for Rollei, but that could be just a faulty rumor. I have not been able to find any info what so ever at the Rollei site.

6. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm, wonder if I might be more pleased with digibase if I used this specialized chemistry. I was frankly rather underwhelmed by digibase film, processed normally via standard c41 at a lab...

7. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dan- Since Freestyle sells a fair share of Rollei films, they may be a good place to try to get this...They may be able to special order it.

8. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ektagraphic,

I shall see about that. I'm going on a trip this summer for 7 weeks, and I'm planning on shooting some 8x10 and 4x5 color negs, so I'll be in need of some chemistry :wink:.

just need to do some testing before souping the good stuff :wink:.

cheers

-Dan

9. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    quick question for the OP though:

is this Rollei chemistry as archivally stable as the Kodak c-41 chems? Even with mixing the chemistry with distilled water, and doing the 1st wash with normal tap water to help establish the normal "mineral content" that is built(designed) into the process from the start, I'd be mixing all the other chems with distilled water, along with the final(2nd) wash step.

just wondering if there's any writings anywhere(maybe from Rollei) on this subject?

thanks

-Dan

10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Rollei C-41 chemistry is made by Fuj.

11. steelneck

steelneck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Do you have a link?

12. steelneck

steelneck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have not a clue, the lack of information from Rollei and user experiences of the stuff is my reason starting this thread. I want to know more, though i will order a small kit out of curiosity.

13. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    There is not a lot of informations concerning this chemistry yet, because the product has just been released on the market.

For example, I just finished the translation of the user manual in french, last days. Will be available in France so soon.

For US, Freestyle will distribute for sure (I saw parcels marked freestyle with C41 digibase inside :smile: )

And this chemistry was elaborated in cooperation with fuji guys, from netherlands, yes.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aurelien,

any news on possible pricing for the US market?

-Dan

16. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wonder why more maskless films haven't appeared. I certainly would have use for them (and not only because of that technology that starts with an 's' but for wholly analogue purposes as well). There could be mask-emulating filters for those who want to do ra4 from them (and of course it'd also be extremely easy to generate such a mask). Anyway, just surprised that Rollei are the only ones in this game.

17. WRSchmalfuss

WRSchmalfuss Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    NEW: Important notice on the "EXCLUSIVE CHARACTERISTIC" of this kit: The packaging used by MACO permits transportation according to IATA rules, of the photochemistry via air freight, or as hand luggage. A "surface-mail" permission is not required, as it is unchanged for all competitive products. The transport restriction is for the maximum up to 5 litres of ROLLEI Digibase C-41 chemistry, per single box.

18. kompressor

kompressor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is a reason for the mask. Not only for RA4 (Remember, scanners been here with us from before C41 was made)

19. steelneck

steelneck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you Aurelien. That explains why there are so few users writing about it, it is a new product. But at the same time making it even more strange that Rollei do not have any info what so ever at their site.

Have you used it and if you have, could you share your thoughts about it?

20. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It was a statement by Maco about refilling Fuji C-41 chemistries from larger batches.

Though, at the moment they are offering as well the Rollei C-41 chemistry as well the Fuji C-41 5-L kit.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2010
  21. kompressor

kompressor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have used it for many many months. This is now the product i will use in the future for 99% of my colourwork. With a new colourchecker every year from X-rite and Kodak Portra 160 NC and Ektar films i can get all that i want, and more. I will still use E6 for some jobs where the colour-and texture-palette has to be different. I will make a Video soon of me shooting a modell, developing the film in Digibase and post-prod.

22. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This chemistry seems ideal for the (very) low level user: sold in small batch sizes and good shelf life of concentrates. Price is good on the Maco site too. I wonder if it'll be available from a UK supplier soon, Maco has a 50€ minimum purchase rule.

23. steelneck

steelneck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was a little low on film, and was also a little curious on the Superia 1600 film (never used such high iso-film). So i ordered a Kit of the Rollei chemistry and some films to get over the purchase rule. I will try to remember this discussion and come back with a report.

24. Hein Mück

Hein Mück Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    For my impression is the kit called Rollei digibase C 41 totally different compare to the Express Kits from
    the Fuji Hunt Belgium (not Holland). But sorry I don not know the quality of the professional bulk chemistry
    from Fuji. May be that the chemistry from Rollei is more equal to the professional line from Fuji.

The original Fuji/Jobo C 41 kit for 5 liters is absolutely different compare to the 5 liter pack called Digibase
    Maxi Kit for 5 liters. And the capacity is different, too.

25. RobertV

RobertV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Correct, while the chemistry is C41 for professional use from Fuji Hunt (Belgium). The Rollei product is new and they ship in different quantities. But most important is the new "fool proof" instruction manual for this chemistry. Further you can re-order each different individual component and this C41 chemistry you can use on lower temperature. However when (RA-4) printing it's better to stick on the 38 degrees C standard to prevent color shift. The kit is complete with starter, C41 developer, blix and stabilizer. A small packing from professional Fuji chemistry.

26. Aurum

Aurum Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Have a chat to Ag-Photographic. They buy stuff direct off Maco, then resell in the UK. They either may have it or may be able to stock it