Rollei Digibase C41 developer without starter??

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by njelle, Jun 29, 2011.

1. njelle

njelle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Heya,
    i just mistakenly poured my whole Starter bottle away and was wondering if i could use the developer without the Starter- i know for sure this wouldn't be any problem in RA-4 but i doubt its the case for C41,
    I know i could get the Starter seperately but need it faster than an order would take me...
    Anybody got any experience on this?

2. Роберт

Роберт Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No you can not. The starter will be necessary to "age" the C41 developer components A/B/C.
    But indeed, you can order the starter seperately.

3. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do normally use starter but have mistakenly developed without starter several times. No problem.

I don't use the Digibase chems but the C41 process is fairly standard so I'd guess you're ok.

My understanding of starters in general is that they are designed to make newly mixed chems act like chems that have been replenished awhile. It is for consistency.

Without the starter the developer may work a bit quicker. Even if that is true I'd still stick with 3:15.

4. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Starter contains the bromide and iodide missing from replenisher (but present in non-replenishing kits like Tetenal).

I mixed up my own starter when I didn't have any, from a little of the alkali bottle (part A) in my kit, and some potassium bromide and potassium iodide. It worked very well, I don't know how close my mix was, but replenishing over time pushes it back to normal.

You could process a test few rolls through it until they appear normal density you're used to, use that as your working solution. Then replenish from there.

If you're in Melbourne (doubtful) I've got some starter here.