Rollei Digibase CR200 Pro slide film

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Ektagraphic, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Gang-
    I was wondering if any have you have ever shot the Rollei color slide film that they currently offer. I bought some from Freestyle and I was able to shoo half the roll tonight and I will finish it on vacation this weekend. I am pretty excited to try a new (to me. how old is is?) slide film. I have no idea what to expect. It's pretty inexpensive too. It is available in 35mm and 120. There is a sample on Freestyle's site. http://www.freestylephoto.biz/81221...x-36-exposure-Single-Roll-Unboxed?cat_id=1301

Patrick

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2009
  2. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Patrick —

It's good to hear your name. Let us know how you find it. I've wanted to try it in both E-6 and C-41 chemistry, namely in 120 format. Cheers.

Astrid

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rollei Digibase CR 200 = Agfachrome RSX II 200 emulsion on clear colourless PET base

4. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Was Agfachrome RSX II 200 a good film?

5. JanaM

JanaM Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Rollei CR200 = Agfa-Gevaert AviChrome = Agfa RSX II 200 emulsion coated on PET base.

Good or bad? I think it is a matter of taste. This film is looking different compared to Kodak and Fuji tranparency films.
    It has very natural colors. Good neutral grey. A little bit less saturated. A bit more grain.
    If you want a different look, it is indeed an alternative.

Lots of photographers like this film because of its excellent results in cross processing.

Jana

6. JMC1969

JMC1969 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not to sound too uninformed, but could someone reveal the "Shelf name" of this film. Was it the "Vista", "Precisa", "Optima" I have never used any of it, but would like to try.

7. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How do we know that this was not the "shelf name"? [Please excuse me. I was not truly into photography while AGFA was still totally active]

8. JanaM

JanaM Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The shelf name was Agfachrome Professional RSX II 200.
    The amateur version of this film was "Precisa".

Jana

9. Aurum

Aurum Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thats interesting, as the last roll of Digibase CR200 I shot didn't say E6 on the roll, it was C41, and therefore I shot and got it developed as such.

I suppose as its an unmasked film you could "cross" it either way.

10. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They have the same name but as a C-41 film I believe.

11. Aurum

Aurum Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Now thats what I call bloody confusing (And a bit daft as well)

12. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That was probably Rollei CN200. Similar name, one is C-41, one is E-6.

13. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My understanding was that it is sold as a C-41 product, but lacks the orange masking. As such, processing in E-6 enables it to be a doubly versatile film for sake of deciding where and what's available for lab processing. Is this off?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am not sure, but I know that there are some black and white movie films that can be processed in standard neg chemicals, or standard black and white reversal movie chemicals.

16. marsbars

marsbars Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If it is just like RSX II 200, I will definitely give it a go. I loved the AGFA slide films when they were still available. I miss it. I liked the way it rendered colors for me. Usually just the way that I saw them. Not overly vivid, or warm or cool. A nice natural look.

17. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are two "Digiibase" films:

-) a colour negative (CN)

-) a colour reversal (CR)

The colour negative film was called "Scanfilm" before and stated to be a "Colour and B&W" -film.
    That would make sense, due to the lack of an integral mask, if you would develop it in a non-chromogenic developer. Nevertheless Maco stated that it cannot be developed in classic B&W chemistry...

Then it was called "Digibase 200 Pro": "monochrome B&W film to be developed in C-41 chemistry"...

Now it is stated correctly to be a "maskless colour negativfilm to be developed in C-41 standard process".

It is based on Agfa's 400 ISO maskless film but the same time stated by Maco as 200 ISO...

18. bob100684

bob100684 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It was called SCANFILM because someone got it through their head that it would scan better and make "purer" colors without an orange base. Someone forgot that most consumer geared scanners including the ones on minilabs are set up for films with an orange base and its a pain in the ass to get correct results or even make a decent channel for a maskless color neg film. The other part about it being a color and B/W film had something to do with it being a royal pain in the ass to print an orange based color neg onto b/w paper.

19. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But without having a panchromatic paper at offer, that film would not really be/make a B&W film in that sense you refer to.
    Furthermore these were all data-sheet statements without further explanations.

20. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just got my first roll of this back in the way and I LOVE it!!! It has a look pretty similar to Kodachrome! I really can't believe how great this film it. We all really have to try it. I have a new favorite film!

21. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Theres too many men
    Too many people
    Making too many problems
    And not much love to go round
    Cant you see
    This is a land of confusion

:D

Important message: if it's not Kodachrome, it's not Kodachrome.

22. RobertV

RobertV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All Rollei-Maco input about the CN200, CR200 and the related Crossbird and Redbird films seems to be deleted from APUG.
    By deleting threads the only information source is the German http://www.aphog.de forum where you can only read in German about these new products.
    Further on the manufacturer site themself but without any feed back from users.
    It's a pity that the moderation on APUG is so stricktly that this kind of "advertisement" is not allowed because now an interesting product line is unknown for many APUG members especially for them who can not speak and read German language.

23. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Robert,

All films of Maco have been communicated here, and many members with no knowledge of German got quite informed. I must say `quite´ as as you might have seen from some of my postings there were some open questions, which have by no means dealt with by Maco here, though they obviously were following Apug. Well, no company is obliged to share in discussions here or introduce their products here. We should not forget that this all is timeconsuming and we are dealing with a small enterprise. However there were repeatedly remarks in Germany by Maco on the people discussing their products here at Apug, and that is not fair.

That their official introduction here ended in disaster is a pity.

24. RobertV

RobertV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not my words, I leave it to the moderation team to take contact about this with Mr. Schröder or Mr. Junghans.
    Maybe Rollei-Maco is too direct (Maco-Direct?) :tongue: for such an introduction in a forum like APUG.

BTW: Crossbird is an E6 film signed as C41 for cross processing. It's (Agfa) RSXII emulsion on clear layer.
    In this way it's easier to get the film (cross) processed.

25. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes I know that, but it is the closest I have come across yet.

26. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes but as was pointed out by someone who worked in a lab they want to know when they are cross processing so that they can rebalance their chemistry,

So just badging an E6 film as C41 process is subterfuge and rather deceptive.

Ian