Rollei focusing screen: GG vs Fresnel & Maxwell

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by msbarnes, Oct 1, 2012.

1. msbarnes

msbarnes Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK so I have a few Rolleis. I bought them used from keh.com and I believe that my Rollei's have two types of screens: ground glass focusing screens (MX-EVS, 2.8D) and fresnel focusing screens (2.8E, T).

I might be a ground glass type of person but prefer focusing on my older Rollei's than on my newer ones.

It seems that fresnel screens have more potential for brighter screens but I sometimes hear that they are harder to focus? Do Maxwell screens have less contrast than ground glass screens?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2012
  2. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I expect you'll get conflicting views on this. FWIW, my experience is that when I had the original screen in a Rolleiflex 3.5E replaced with a Maxwell screen, I found it brighter but harder to focus. The camera has since moved on to another home.

3. msbarnes

msbarnes Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    True. I might just see if anyone near me has a Maxwell Screen, then compare the brightness and contrast myself.

Cheaper and easier that way.

4. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And sometimes from the same person. Ten years ago I wrote on forums that I had no problem whatsoever focusing on the original GG's in my Rolleis. I could easily use the Rolleiflex Standard and Rolleicord I and Ia with their even darker screens. But that was ten years ago, and my eyes have gotten older since then. Focusing takes more time today. :sad:

I still feel that it's little easier to focus on the ground glass in my Rolleiflexes (with f:2,8 viewing lens) than on the (original) fresnel screen in my 3,5F even though the corners are brighter.

Since I'm also a collector I like my cameras to be as they were when they were made, with their original screens. It's easy to change screens in the 3,5F so I would like to try a Maxwell screen someday. But they are expensive. Maybe when my eyes get older, if Maxwell still is in business then...

5. dnk512

dnk512 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found the Maxwell screen to have narrower field of view for the eye. If you use it with a prism you will love it.
    On the other hand, with a waist level finder you may find the screen darkening of center a bit easy.
    The center aids work great. Split and micro prisms are indispensable in some situations.

6. macrorie

macrorie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a Rolleicord Va with the factory screen, and under anything other than bright exterior light it was impossible to see the corners of the viewfinder. I had a Maxwell screen installed (no split image rangefinder) and it was a revelation.

7. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format