Rollei Ortho

Discussion in 'Still life' started by Raffay, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Raffay

Raffay Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Screen shot 2013-10-27 at 12.21.47 PM.png
    My VW 1965
    Shot with Rollei - was an experiment that went bad
    Developed in D23 and fixed in TF3 (As we don't have any other chemicals available here)

I would be happy to know what I can do with development to improve. I guess this film needs to be overexposed a few stops and then developed a bit longer to get some detail (but what will happen to whites then), as I believe this is a pure black and white film with no mid-tones.

Any help will be much appreciated. I like the resolution of the film a lot, and hence want to take a portrait of my wife...can't mess that one up :smile:

Cheers

Raffay

2. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'd suggest you read Barry Thornton's articles on personal film speed and personal development times - The results will depend very much on your final printing process. Developing for scanning will produce a different set of times to the ones needed for traditional enlarging/printing.

3. Raffay

Raffay Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    thank you, tried reading them online...too technical for online reading. Took a printout and try once more in the morning when I am more fresh.

Cheers

Raffay

4. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It just looks seriously underexposed to me. You didn't mention if you shot it at box speed or what, nor how you metered---it looks as if it might have ended up well exposed for the sky, so maybe you just took your reading at a bad angle?

-NT