Rollei RPX 400 shot at 250 - what dev/time?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by andreios, May 7, 2013.

1. andreios

andreios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello folks,

I recently purchased some Rollei RPX 400 for occasions when I need something faster than Ilford Delta 100 wich is nowadays my main film in 120. However, I forgot to take with me the information sheet on a trip and when wondering how to expose it, I treated it similarly as I used to treat TriX and shot it at ISO 250 (or 320 for one roll). Now that I looked at the charts on Maco's website as well as in the Massive Dev Chart, there are only times for films shot at iso 400 and higher and I am wondering how shoudl I develop my rolls...

I have currently at hand Rodinal, D76, Perceptol (I think) and some Beutler. And Moersch Tanol which I use for my LF negatives.

Could you please help me with any suggestions?

Thanks very much!

A.

2. herb

herb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Rollei for Dev

I used Rodinal and Xtol for this film, fine grain with Xtol stock and Rodinal 1:25 for strong contrast.

times were about what the mfg calls for, but your water will determine that, IMHO.

3. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pull times back about 15-20% if lighting was normal, 30% if contrasty, develop at 400 speed times if it was really flat.

4. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you decide to use Perceptol at stock I'd say that EI 250 is very close to being the right speed. I am surprised that neither Ilford nor the MDC offer times for RPX for Perceptol at 250.

Have a look at other films such as Tri -X and HP5+ at 250 in Perceptol and check these times against APX 400 at box speed and see if a 10-15% reduction gets you close to the suggested Ilford and Kodak film times.

I'd be surprised if the two figures are not close. Perceptol tends to be a slow working developer with quite long development times so if you are in the 10 mins or more period then a minute either way isn't going to make a critical difference.

pentaxuser

5. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    P.S. Ilford shows a 320 time for APX of 14 mins and a 250 stock for HP5+ at 13 mins. Unless Rollei RPX is a lot different from either of these then these times get you close

pentaxuser

6. andreios

andreios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all your suggestions. I've just mixed a new batch of D76 so I think I'll use that, will post some results when it's done (printed).

7. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    +1/2 to +2/3 of a stop is nothing to a negative. Just develop it as normal and it'll be fine, you'll get slightly more shadow detail.