Rollei SL66 trouble, service manual needed...

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by naaldvoerder, Dec 5, 2010.

1. naaldvoerder

naaldvoerder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My SL66 is stuck (again). After using a newly acquired polaroid back, the mirror is up and the shutter will not fire. Does anyone what to do? I have the adress of a good repairman, but I wouldn't mind having a go myself. I noticed that under the leatherette on the upper right hand side are a couple of screws to open the camera's right hand "compartment', but also a tiny hole positioned against one of the shuttercurtain roling bars. Does anybody what this little hole is for?

Thanks in advance,

Jaap Jan Helder

2. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Having the repair manual for an item is of little help to actually repair it unless you have the skill, tools expertise and test equipment to successful complete the repair, I'm was trained as a precisions engineer for five years in my youth, and worked for twelve years in a company who made components for the aircraft industry and I have repair manuals for several of my cameras but the more I study the electrical and mechanical complexity of the mechanism in the manual the more it puts me off attempting it, and to leaver it to a professional.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2010
  4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. David Tatnall

David Tatnall Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  6. Wishy

Wishy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think the general advise is don't try it, leave it to the professionals!

The SL66 is one of the most complex mechanical cameras ever made, and there is a massive difference between unjamming, and fixing it. I'd not even try giving it to a general "all makes all models" repairer, even though I have one who I trust with pretty much everything else. (And indeed, on a suitable camera I'm not adverse to doing the work myself)

Jurgen Kuschnik over in germany is almost certainly the best guy to send it to. His prices aren't cheap, but he will do a good job, turn it around fast and warranty his shutter repairs

7. naaldvoerder

naaldvoerder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks all,

I have come to my senses and did send it to Jurgen Kuschnik yesterday. I'll report back on his achievements.