Rollei Strap

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by msbarnes, Feb 15, 2012.

1. msbarnes

msbarnes Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. jscott

jscott Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got the Fotodiox leather strap from Amazon and it does NOT fit my Rolleiflex, although my model is listed in the sales blurb. The metal part is way too thick to go through the stays on the camera. I would not recommend this product for a Rolleiflex T.

I'm starting to avoid/replace leather straps on vintage cameras, after having three different older leather straps break while carrying cameras (original leather straps riveted to Rollei Eveready cases). Generally I like classic period gear, but in this case I'm willing to go synthetic for more reliable strength characteristics. I like the OpTech Pro straps; all synthetic, strong, easy to clip on and off.

3. sdotkling

sdotkling Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yeah, but anyone notice the tendency of OpTech Pro straps to disconnect without warning? I've almost dropped my Pentax 6x7 a couple of times when the strap decided it would go its own way.

4. aroth87

aroth87 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Domke gripper on my 2.8D. I'm happy with it and it doesn't look too out of place. It works well around my neck or slung over my shoulder, it really does grip well!

I've not had a problem with my OpTech strap. I've had one on my digital camera for about a year and a half and really like it, I've never had it disconnect unexpectedly. IMO it would look goofy on a Rollei but its your camera, not mine :smile:

Adam

5. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    On the off chance you happen to have an old Rollei strap with rotted leather, you can bring it to your local shoe repair guy to make a new one using the old connectors.....I just did exactly that for my 3.5E

6. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Don't use leather!!!

For every Rollei I have had, and other cameras with a leather strap, I have tried to break the strap at the join with the metal fastening thingie - On some occasions this has taken a bit of force, but I have managed it - The metal thingies are than taken to a boot repair place with a length of nylon strap pre-cut to the required length and they rivet it on

Breaking the leather strap on purpose is vastly better than gravity doing it for you while clambering over rocks - OK, not a purist approach, but my cameras are for use, not to look pretty - Even when they are

Don't trust Rollei leather straps

7. Pentudlian

Pentudlian Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have not used a Gordy strap on my Yashica TLR, but I do have one with a string attachment on my 35mm Vito B. Although it looks rather frail, it shows no sign of failure after a couple of years of use. I'm a great fan of his straps, and have a couple of others for my Pentax SLRs. The only reason I haven't bought one for my TLR is that it came with its own strap.

8. Markauf

Markauf Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After replacing my original strap a couple years ago (going the route of having a shoe repair place replace the leather using the original clasps) and breaking that one too (it was much less durable than the original), I purchased the Fotodiox Pro from Amazon and found it to fit perfectly and match the quality of the original strap.

9. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good to know, I am getting a little nervous trusting a treasured '59 Rollei to a strip of '59 leather.

On my wish list.

10. peter_n

peter_n Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've also bought the Fotodiox Pro from Amazon and it works fine on my 3.5 E3. It's advertised for the 2.8 cameras but also fits the 3.5 F types. At $29.95 it's pretty good value.

11. BikoBikoBiko

BikoBikoBiko Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    When the strap broke on my T it was at one of the ends, I just cut way the weak leather on both ends of the strap and re-attached the original strap with new rivits. At the moment it's 'good and new', that leather strap has lasted 50 years and i think it'll do another 50 years so long as it doesn't start to get worn in the middle.

12. Rolfe Tessem

Rolfe Tessem Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would rather take the strap and case off my Rolleiflex, put them away for safe keeping and use new, storebought stuff for daily use.
    That way, I get to use the camera and keep the vintage tack in good condition.

It is possible to get cases for the Rollei made from modern materials?
    It'd be neat to have a case made from something like Neoprene and a strap made of heavy guage Nylon.

14. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format