Rollei Users.. How do you carry your camera?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ToddB, Dec 28, 2012.

1. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey guys,

I'm curious.. How do you guys carry your Rollei around? Do have it in the Ever ready case, Out by itself with camera strap? Do you pull it out of a traditional camera bag? Do use a messenger type of bag?

ToddB

2. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Strap and a messenger bag, I have come to quite like ever-ready cases, but don't have one for the Rollei at the moment.

3. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have several -- those with an everready case I use with the case and a strap; otherwise, just a strap.

4. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What type of messenger bag? I saw those new sling bags that are pretty cool. Might be cool for grab and go situation.

Todd

5. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Strap and either a messenger bag or a more traditional camera bag - I have a nice Tenba I bought years upon years ago that fits up to two Rollei bodies, a half-dozen pro-packs of 120 film, and a Sekonic 408 meter in the main compartment, or one Rollei, a Vivitar grip/bracket and a Vivitar 283, plus the aforementioned meter and film. I dislike the never-ready cases for that reason- they always interfere with your ability to take a picture when the opportunity presents itself. But I have a nice canvas messenger bag that doesn't look like a camera bag or something fancy that might have a laptop or other valuables in it - it's an LL Bean messenger bag in the "sea washed" finish. It's big enough to carry all that stuff plus an iPad or a laptop in a separate padded interior compartment.

6. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Cool.. sounds like a winner set up. I should discribe my set up since I started this thread. Yes.. i do the Never -ready case with traditional leather camera strap. when I'm done I pack it away in NG style packpack when I'm done shooting. Works well. Same as you in regards with two bodies, room for Ipad and light meter and film. The messenger bag again has my interest. Lowepro makes one but again un-decided. Ayone else? This is pretty cool to see what eveyone else is doing.

ToddB

7. Peltigera

Peltigera Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't have a Rollei but I carry my Ikoflex around on a strap. When not in use it lives in a bubble-wrap bag. I don't like cases with me when I am in action and don't always bother when they are not in use. I am pretty tough on my kit.

8. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Pretty slick looking bag.

10. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't like "everready" cases - we used to call them "neverready" on 35mm cameras. I actually have a nice one for my Rollei 3.5F, but don't use it. I carry the camera and accessories in a bag, as FlyingCamera describes, and once I am in the field, I attach to a tripod or monopod and keep it on till I'm done. Most of my shooting walking about in unpopulated areas, vs street photography, so this works for me. Ditto 35mm gear. I have several bags of different size, and usually put together what I want each time I go shooting, and take the bag that works.

11. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They also make a companion bag in the same materials but smaller, enough for a single camera plus other odds-n-ends. I don't have the smaller one, but I'm thinking about getting one as a walkaround bag when I'm traveling.

12. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a bag from here:

http://www.viscontibags.co.uk

I never used to like the everready cases, but one came with my Zeiss Super Ikonta III, and I think it's great, well worth having.

13. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Cool George.. It sounds like a great set up. It's great to hear that you several bags depending on the need. I was starting to think I had a bag fettish. But it only makes sence to have bags that fit a certain outing.

Todd

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thehagman.. Great site. You guys from across the pond have great places to get things. A little different option that what we have. Got to love leather bags and straps. Seems they always compliment vintage cameras.

Todd

16. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've had the bad a few years now, still completely solid, no fraying or damage of any kind. Great bag.

17. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I use a Lowepro Nova 3. Adjustable compartments and it seems perfectly sized with even a back pocket that perfectly holds passport and airline ticket.
    I find the ever ready case very irritating and in the way and hanging the camera around my neck by the strap is very uncomfortable and inconvenient.
    I prefer to take the camera out of the case to take a photo and then put it back in.

Attached Files:

18. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ditto... and if taking lots of pictures I geenrally carry Rollei TLR on a monopod.

19. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Gorgous camera dpurdy. Is that one of those GX Rollei with exotic skin? Nice setup to boot. Thanks for sharing the photos.

ToddB

20. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks Todd. No, it is an older FX with the brown cowhide.

21. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Do you have a strap on your camera? If so.. what type? Leather, nylon or Hippie strap.

ToddB

22. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I don't like a strap. I have a brand new one with the scissor clips but I tend to use a tripod most of the time. It is just my personal opinion but having a strap hanging off the camera is an accident waiting to happen.

23. ghart

ghart Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use a Billingham bag with my Rollei TLR (2.8 GX Edition). Regrettably, it's an obsolete item called the S3. It's a small bag and it fits the camera perfectly, while providing 2 other small compartments for my light meter and film etc. Looking at the Billingham website the current fStop bags might be the closest, though even the f2.8 is bigger than my S3.

This bag is light and it's easy to load and unload the camera because there are no straps attached to the device. See something worth taking, pop it out, then replace it, easy.

I'm sorry in a way to chip in but I felt that I had to given that I find this camera/bag combination to be one the the best pairings that I have ever encountered. But of course it may just suit me…

24. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Billingham are tops. I love the combination of leather trim and canvas.

Todd

25. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Lowenpro sling bag

Saw this interesting bag. What do you think?

Attached Files:

26. Allan Swindles

Allan Swindles Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you use a bag you will miss pictures. I carry all my cameras ready to use, ie, a Rollei around my neck in ERC but without the front attached, lens hood in place, Hass., similar but no case, OM as Rollei., but not all at the same time you understand.