Rollei versus RZ67?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by georgedean, Sep 8, 2011.

1. georgedean

georgedean Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have been reading as much as I can about medium format and weddings....

There is one photographer I simply love... abyranphoto.com

He uses both the "2.8 F PLANAR (BAYONET III) TWIN LENS REFLEX" and the RZ67....

Do you know WHY one would take both to a wedding and when would you use one over another??

Perhaps the Rollei is more "walk around friendly" or its the Carl Zeiss lens he used?

Your insight is valuable.

George

2. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    With the RZ you can have different lenses to switch between and you also have the option of having extra loaded film magazines with you. Downside may be that it is much heavier than a Rollei TLR. It all depends on what cameras you like and what sort of way you work when doing photography.

3. JohnArs

JohnArs Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not ask himself, I can't answer this question for somebody else!

Cheer Armin

4. georgedean

georgedean Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Actually, did John... no response yet.

if you notice, I did not ask why HE takes them to a wedding, I asked why "one" would use one over the other.

George

5. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rollei is a great camera, but for wedding I would toward the RZ67.

Jeff

6. georgedean

georgedean Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    FWIW... he answered...

"Both serve different purposes. The Rollei is great because its compact, simple, but has impeccable optics. The Mamiya is a tank but is perfect for detail shots, shooting groups (w/ 65mm, equivalent to a 32mm) and for Polaroids. I don't always bring the Mamiya with me on shoots, but it does come with me on to weddings."

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2011
  7. dnjl

dnjl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Aside from their practical differences, I think it's just good policy to have a backup camera at a wedding.

8. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have taken both a Rolleiflex and Pentax 67 a few times. The reason is I like the Rollei better and I like the square format but the Pentax has changeable lenses, wide angle for a group or tele for some portraits. The truth is that neither is a great camera for most of the wedding photos. You are much better off with an auto focus auto exposure 35mm for the ceremony and all the candids.
    When it comes to delivering your work to the couple and you have shot film, you usually will give them some small machine prints. The ironic thing is that from a 35mm neg you can get a 4x6 machine print where from a 67 MF neg you will get a 4x5 print and from the Rollei you will get a 4x4 print. So the couple looking at the work will see the bigger camera as making smaller pictures than the 35mm camera. And at that size the larger neg doesn't do you any good over a good quality 35mm camera lens.
    My working method when doing film weddings is to shoot set up portraits with the MF and then get them printed on 5 inch paper so the prints are larger than the machine prints from the 35mm. Then I will shoot the ceremony and the reception with the 35mm.
    Dennis

9. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Bingo.

10. georgedean

georgedean Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Dennis...I like your thinking.

11. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To me the answer is neither, the Mamiya TLRs have all the advantages of the Rollie square format plus interchangeable lenses with leaf shutters for fill in flash that stepping back twenty years were standard equipment because of these factors and the fact that they are mechanically very simple and reliable and have a straight film path that keeps the film very flat, I've in the past done many weddings with a couple of these bodys and a set of lenses.
    If you are going to shoot weddings whatever you buy before you use it in anger have it professionally CLAd , because there's enough things that can go wrong at weddings you don't get second chances you have to produce results not excuses.

12. georgedean

georgedean Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What is CLAd??

13. laser

laser Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I suggest a totally different view. NOISE. Did you ever hear a RB67 "go off" in a quiet church. Click, Blam, buzz, click Slam, clomp. The Rollei is very quiet. Both the RB and Rollei can make excellent photographs.

I observed one of the top wedding photographers a few times. He is flown around the country by his very up scale clients. What makes him the best? Great photographs, absolutely. However, in addition he knows how to act. He is polite, knows when to speak and when not to. No showboating. You would hardly know he was at the wedding and reception.

14. Mats_A

Mats_A Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Clean Lube Adjust

r

mats

15. Mats_A

Mats_A Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :laugh: This is so true. I love my RZ but the thought of "launching" it in a quiet church......

r

mats

16. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ain't that the truth, you'd have the vicar have a heart attack, Rollie and Mamiya TLRs are quiet don't have mirror slap.

17. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They are so far apart that is hard not to laugh, but, in the spirit of cooperation I'll say they are both excellent cameras. Rollei: German,6X6, light,fixed lens, easy to take on a trip. Tessar or Planar Carl Zeiss lenses. Excellent pics.
    Mamiya 6X7: Japanese, 6X7, rotating back, larger negative, heavier, interchangeable lenses, fool-proof, magnifecent pics. I love both of mine.

18. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Of the many cameras I have no one type elicits more interest, smiles and fun attitude than my Rolleiflex twin lens reflex cameras. I'm sure that can work to some advantage at weddings too.

19. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The big disadvantage with a Rolleiflex TLR when shooting weddings is it hasn't a wide angle lens ability when shooting groups or telephoto lens for headshots, in the old days a lot of pro wedding shooters took three Rollei cameras to weddings, a standard, a wide angle and a tele so a Mamiya TLR with it's interchangeable lens ability was a much cheaper and more versatile option.

20. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They should definitely play bingo at weddings. It would have relieved the boredom of some of the weddings I have been to!

Steve.

21. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Whilst this is true, my father spent many years shooting weddings with just a Rolleicord and a Rolleiflex, both with standard lenses.

Steve.

22. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I almost got married, I gave the girl the ring and she gave the finger!

Jeff

23. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Was that a misprint Jeff, was it "married", or buried :D

24. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It was possible Steve but difficult, the pro from the company who shot our wedding in 1964 used the three Rolleiflexes I mentioned, wide standard and tele.

25. olleorama

olleorama Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You have to get the buzz going. It's valid for all situations with a risk of boredom.