rolleicord 5b

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Gingerjoe, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Gingerjoe

Gingerjoe Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I purchased what I think is the rolleicord 5b from a chap in canterbury, with a 35mm rolleikin back included, both for 50 pounds, Ive been meaning to post up for a while, I did put a film into it a little while back, but Unfortunently as I wind, it doesnt stop... Ive checked the teeth, there doesnt seem to be any where, I did get some previous help about a button you press each time? but nothing happened, any tips on how it works. thnks in advance

Joe

Attached Files:

2. Seabird

Seabird Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  3. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Also, that's a Rolleicord Vb -- Rollei used Roman numerals and lowercase letters for the Rolleicord and Arabic numbers and uppercase letters for the Rolleiflex.

I don't know if the later Rolleicord models had the Automat's film-loading system in which you passed the film between two rollers. I guess you'll have to check out the manual.

Good luck. That's a very nice-looking camera that you have.

4. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doesn't stop with which film - 120 or 35mm? If 120 is the "12" counter installed or the Rolleikin counter?

5. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Rolleicord V. Just so you know, you have to wind quite a bit before it actually stops. Are you sure the film leader didn't come off of the take up spool? You are certain you have the roll loaded to the spindle closest to the taking lens and empty reel is near the top, right? After you made the initial "roll up" of the leader into the take up spool, did you advance it until the arrow lined up with the red dot?

6. Gerry M

Gerry M Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Joe,
    That looks like my Vb in that it has the removable viewing hood. For 120, cover the red dot (double exposure control) on the front panel and load film. No double rollers as in the "Flexes. Just take a couple of turns around the take up spool and close the back. Then wind on, and yes it takes some cranks to get to #1. Then cock the shutter and fire. Crank to #2. It has the auto stop feature when winding on. I'm not familiar with the Rolleikin. I had one for my 2.8e and never used it. Butkus manuals online is good advice. Good luck!

7. Gingerjoe

Gingerjoe Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    thanks for the replys, Ive looked through the pdf manual, I never new about the double exposure lock, I did what it said, but unfortunetly im still having the same problem, Just rinsed a whole film, I did shoot loads of photos of my room all over the place, so should be funny, ( can I actually go over an exposed 120 film the other way? ) so then I can keep testing it, thanks for the info on the name too, I never new it was a v5, my google search's have gone up. I am using 120 film, when im winding, the film counter is just staying at 0, no movment atall, I would love to get it going, as its a lovely camera, & im sure it would like to see the light of day again, thanks for your help

Joe

8. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Considering it was so cheap it would be well worth sending it off for a service. Newton Ellis in Liverpool do a great job.

9. Gingerjoe

Gingerjoe Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    yea I think I will look into it, I dont really want to start playing around with it myself, Ive learn from that. you recon 50 pounds for the camera & rolleikin was cheap? I wasnt sure.

10. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

It was cheap yes. I've seen Rolleicords go for anything up to as much as eight times that amount.

11. Gingerjoe

Gingerjoe Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    blimey I didnt have a clue, I though it was the rolleiflex that where worth the money.

12. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've just had a quick look at a few completed listings on ebay: £244, £230, £365. So yes, you found a bargain, and it is well worth paying the cost of a service.

13. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So my Rolleicord V at £34 was a real bargain!

It's definitely worth getting it looked at but before you do that, take the back off and waste a roll of film by winding it through*. At the top there is a wheel which makes contact with the wind on spool and this should turn as you wind on to tell it how much film has been wound on.

If this is sticking, it will wind on forever. However, if you have some parts for the 35mm mechanism still fitted you could just have the wrong parts installed.

* You can't run a film through backwards as the film is only taped to the backing paper at one end.

Steve.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Gingerjoe

Gingerjoe Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    oh my goodness I didnt realise for a second, probally due to be searching 5b.. I just searched vb and found some for 460, never realised atall, I got both the rolleikin & camera for 50, Im gonna contact the chap about getting it fixed, thanks for the help

16. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, you can load film backwards (wrong spool at wrong end). If you do that, as you wind, it winds the leader back onto the spool. As a result, you won't get any photos taken but the knob will turn forever. I have done it!

17. Gingerjoe

Gingerjoe Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    ive checked if the top spool is spinning the part driven behind it via the teeth & its moving fine, on this side, is there meant to be a 12 Counter?! because this one reads 36, but on the other side I have a 12 count.

Attached Files:

18. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 36 counter is for Rolleikin. The 12 counter is for roll film. Does the 12 counter change frame count as you wind? I think the stop mechanism is in the counter. You can remove the counter and see if something looks bent or broken. The silver knob in center of counter is a screw.

19. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    P.4. This seems to be a fairly common problem that professsional servicing probably will fix.

20. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That picture looks odd as it doesn't have the window for the frame counter which should be above the focus knob like this: http://vieilalbum.com/images/RolleicordV.jpg

EDIT: Ignore me. That's a V, not a Vb.

I think the fact that you have a 36 counter means that you still have some of the Rolleikin parts fitted.

Steve.

21. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was just about to point that out to you.

22. R gould

R gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Rolleicord va2, and the winding nob is on the right hand side together with the frame counter, focus on the left, I had problems with the film wind, in my case it did'nt wind on far enough and overlapping frames, but a service by Newton and Ellis sorted the problem out, but it is just possible that part of the Rolleikin adaptor is still in place, but I would get it serviced at www.newtonellis.co.uk They do great work, and you have one of the best cameras around for 120, second only to a rolleiflex, worth getting done,Richard

23. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second the motion! The best experience I've had in MF photography has been with a Vb, but only after sending out to be overhauled and put back into "as new" condition. I think I paid about 150USD in 1990 for that service and it lasted more than a decade before the camera started acting like it might want to visit the shop again. Mine had this same problem (as well as slow shutter speeds that were slower than they should be) and it was cleared up with a simple cleaning and lubrication; no parts or extraordinary repairs were needed.

24. Gingerjoe

Gingerjoe Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    thanks to everyone for your help, I do really appreciate it, gonna get it sent off in the week if I can, one last thing, on the other side from my latest photograph is the 12 count, but should the counter I photographed be a 12 count two? Unfortunetly I dont have this, will have to keep an eye out on ebay or the sale section, see what pops up.

heres the other side, then ill leave it at that, thanks all for your help,

Much appreciated,

Joe

Attached Files:

25. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are using roll film, don't use the Rolleikin counter (the one that goes to 36), only use the 12 counter -- the one shown in your most recently posted photo.

26. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One other thing to check before you send the camera for repiar, is the silver "tab/button" that can be seen on one side of the open back. That engages/disengages the 12 counter. Make sure it is being depressed by the back when closed and locked.