Rolleicord III Advance Knob Issue

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by CliveC, Feb 11, 2013.

1. CliveC

CliveC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi guys, I picked up my first TLR off Ebay last week and I bought a Rolleicord III with a known issue with the film advance knob.
    It's not a deal-breaker, but it's slightly annoying.

Film loads fine and the advance is "grindy" (i.e. feels like metal on metal) but not an issue. The issue comes on certain frames when you have to depress the center button the advance knob multiple times. You press it, turn a little bit, press it again, turns a bit more, and repeat a few times before it returns to normal and lets me advance to the next frame. The worst of it happens at frame 7 or so.

Anybody knows what is going on? As I said, it's not a deal-breaker for the price I paid, but if it's an easy fix, I'd love to know.

Thanks.

2. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine has begun doing that; no "grindy" advance, but the exact same multiple-press behavior on the advance knob around frame 7. It's been that way for some time and doesn't seem to be getting any worse or causing any other problems; after taking one look at a Rollei service manual I decided that any repair at all was way above my pay grade, and I need to get it in to a professional. It's way overdue for a CLA anyway.

If you get yours looked at before I do---which is pretty likely given my usual level of organization---I'll be interested to know what they find.

-NT