Rolleicord is great!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by tkamiya, Dec 21, 2010.

1. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is really not a question but a statement.

I recently acquired a Rolleicord V in excellent shape and I've been using it since. It is AMAZING how much this simple camera has improved my photography! It seems slowing WAY down has a lot to do with this improvement.

With this simple camera, I have to meter carefully with my Sekonics so exposure is much better. Using WLF requires me to pay attention to near edge of the frame - not just the center, watch carefully for the level-ness, and basically see the whole print in front of me before I carefully slide the shutter release.

I dunno.... newer isn't always better and I knew that - but doing this with 60+ year old camera is just amazing. Images are awfully sharp, too.

Anyway, I thought I'd share.

p.s. I wish I could get a WLF for my Mamiya 645Pro... I know Mamiya made'em. They are just impossible to find now.

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The older cameras are great, just can't beat them!

Jeff

3. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    I have a rolleicord IV..fantastic camera. Congrats & enjoy

4. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They have WLF for 645PRO on KEH, That is if you want to pay the ridiculous amount.
    Funny, I have a 645PRO and a Rolleiflex T, I also want a WLF for the 645 Pro, but then, I don't even have a metered prism.

5. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What's interesting to note isn't so much the camera itself but the effect it's had on your habits.

Good habits = good results.

6. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where do you see that?? I just went and looked but all they have are the ones for older (all metal) version of M645.

By the way, if you want a metered prism, AE Prism N will work perfectly fine with a Pro. That's what I have with mine.

7. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    While one certainly have the option of cropping to a vertical or horizontal rectangle, working with the square format can challenge and improve your seeing.

Glad you are enjoying your new tool!

8. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

It's definitely NOT the camera but Rolleicord is a great joy to use. I see myself actually thinking and rethinking before I release the shutter. It should be the same but I don't take this much care on any of other format. I *think* WLF has a lot to do with this change. It requires whole different attitude compared to regular prism type view finders.

Wait... it IS the camera.... I don't have a WLF on any other cameras... :smile:

9. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    LOL...I always get a prism finder because I just find it easier but I see what you're saying.

Careful, you keep talking like that and you'll be getting a 4x5 or larger next. Same idea with slowing down and thinking more, yanno.

10. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have my limits Colin... :tongue:

I am; however, thinking about going to 6x7 :whistling::whistling::whistling:

11. wclark5179

wclark5179 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I agree, Rollicord is great.

Happy Holidays!

12. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    What is the lens of your Rolleicord , If it is triotar , it sees the lines like cut with a scissor , that excellent.
    Old cameras creates good habits as someone said , Rolleicord is the Leica of MF. You will never be able to get same quality from 67. I have an other Rollei , Rollei 35s and I saw flickr galleries and it is super with Ektachrome 100 vs. Zeiss is always more light gathering , more sunny lens and saturation and darker pictures tame the highlights and give extraordinary images. Some say Leica is digital amp but Zeiss is a tube amp. Its like swedish art glass , light is flowing in the picture.

13. mablo

mablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rolleicord V is equipped with a Zeiss Xenar which is a 4 element Tessar type of lens. It's really really sharp stopped down and also very nice for portraits at f/3.5. It's the one camera I'll take with me for the Xmas holidays.

14. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My Rolleicord V is the camera I would keep if I could only have one.

Steve.

15. R gould

R gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Rollei's are great cameras, both the flex and the cord,I have one of each, a rolleicord Va2 and a rolleiflex automat,truely great cameras,the Leica of MF, and if I had to chose 2 cameras to keep from my collection it would be the rolleis,Richard

16. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My father used to use a Rolleicord and a Rolleiflex for weddings in the 1970s. As I stated earlier I have a Rolleicord V but there is also a Rolleiflex in my father's collection which I have inherited (although the collection is in display cabinets in my mother's house) so technically I have one of each too. The Rolleiflex shutter is a bit sticky at the slower settings so I need to have that looked at.

Steve.

17. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That would not be a lens made by Zeiss, but by Schneider.
    :wink:

18. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I agree - they're great! I've had at least ten. :smile: These days, I am using a Rolleiflex, an old Sekonic and some Plus-X. Slowing down and "being there" is a good exercise for the eyes and the brain.

19. mablo

mablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Schneider-Kreutznach of course. My mistake, I'm sorry. Tessar is Zeiss and Xenar is Schneider-K's implementation of the same lens. Both are great lenses.

20. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If i wanted to be completely anal about this, i could point out that it is "Kreuznach" (no "t"). But i don't, so i won't.
    :laugh:

21. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Xenar gives excellent greens , browns and reddish orange colors. If you find a chance , shoot color.
    May be they will flame me but use classic Kodak Films , not the newer generation. Ektachrome is excellent.
    Dont use Fuji with it. I hate Fujis products for 20 years but only they are available fresh here , ...
    I believe Japanese culture and their taste has a strong influence at Fuji , Colors look like classic Indonesian , Chinese silk products of late 1800s.