Rolleicord shutter cocking lever question

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Rollei fan, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Rollei fan

Rollei fan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the shutter of a Rolleiflex Va or Vb has already been cocked, can you turn the cocking lever again? Or should it not move without first firing the shutter?

2. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On my Rolleicord III, which seems to have the same mechanism as the V, the cocking lever will move freely to the right and back to the centre once the shutter is cocked. The tension in that direction only returns after the shutter is fired.

I assume this is normal operation as it's been that way for thirty years with no apparent problems, but I can't guarantee it.

-NT

3. mhcfires

mhcfires Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an early Rolleiflex Automat. I never noticed, so I will have to check next time I take it out.

4. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On my Rolleicord V with film in it, once I cock the shutter (which feels heavy), I can move the shutter lever to the same direction numerous times with very little resistance. Once I fire it, the next one cocking feels heavy and following ones are (again) very light.

Without film in it, I cannot move the lever in either direction.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2011
  5. Gerry M

Gerry M Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If your V has the double exposure preventer(? sp) on the face panel, move it so the red button is showing. You should be able to cock and fire the shutter w/o film in the body.
    Once the shutter is cocked, the cocking lever has very little resistance (can be moved) until the shutter is tripped.

6. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I know....

7. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I think this is normal behavior, even going back to the first "art deco" Rolleicord.

Once you tension the shutter, there is a lot of play in that lever. At least, that's been the case with the few Rolleicords that I've handled.

By the way, the Rolleiflex Automat mentioned in one of the posts is a different beast from the Rolleicord -- it tensions the shutter and advances the film in one motion.

8. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Famously, two motions: forth (film transport) and back (shutter cocking).
    :wink:

9. Ervin Pohl

Ervin Pohl Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have Rolleicord Vb. The lever can be moved freely when cocked That's normal, Once you will fire the shutter it'll get stiff again and actually ready to be cocked again. And so on...:D
    I was puzzled by that too at first.

10. Seabird

Seabird Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The shutters on both the Rolleicords I have owned have operated like this as well - as do all the copal shutters on all my large format lenses. Knowing no better I have always assumed that this was how all manually cocked leaf shutters work.

Regards

Carey Bird
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbird/index.html