Rolleifix ?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by BAB, Dec 23, 2012.

1. BAB

BAB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I put together an over-the-shoulder camera strap that connects to the tripod socket of any camera, including the Rollei E I have. A friend warned me about bending the back plate of the Rollei using this carrying method and recommended the Rolleifix plate. Looking at descriptions and photos of the Rolleifix, I'm not certain this would be a fix for supporting the camera upside down by the tripod socket. I.e., the E model has the groves around the tripod socket and the two little mounting holes on the front panel, but is that really sufficient to protect the back plate from warping hanging it upside down? Perhaps I'm missing something?

A photo of the strap is attached.

A corollary question would be, does anyone have one they might sell. KEH has a bargain Rolleifix for $40, but that depends on what they mean by "bargain."

Thanks much,
    BAB

Attached Files:

2. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't do either. Your strap looks interesting but swinging a TLR from the tripod mount could risk bending hte back. The risk with the rolleifix is that if the quick-release lever inadvertantly gets flipped -- your camera will go crashing to the ground. My preferred solution was to use a Rolleifix on a monopod and carry it like a walking stick (monopod extended), or carry it like a baby cradled in arms (monopod fully retracted).

3. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would agree as we'll. tripod socket is intended for a tripod. All thought the strap has a very cool look to it. The risk factor is to great to have that beauty ruined.

ToddB

4. vysk

vysk Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The Rolleifix would still stress bottom plate, especially if you hung the camera with it. The bottom plate is only aluminum and easy to bend.

I would strongly recommend that the camera be hung by the strap hangers only, which attach to the body casting..

5. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, that's a disaster waiting to happen, Rolleifix or no.

6. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Use what the mfg. provided for with this camera. Refer to the manual if in doubt. IMHO, don't do it.

7. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with everybody else don't do it.

Jeff

8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But would not, when mounted on a sturdy tripod as a coloumn studio tripod, due to leverage when gripping the camera, when cocking, the stresds on the bottom plate be greater, than with the camera just hanging on its tripod socket?

9. BAB

BAB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with the overwhelming "WHAT THE HELL'S THE MATTER WITH YOU." :smile:

I'll reattach the old strap, but it's the age of that leather strap that bothers me. Leather rots eventually, and mechanical clips wear out. What I'm referring to are the clips that attach to the posts on either side of the camera. I've always wondered when one or the other is going to break. Is there a way to cradle the Rollei using a strap that uses the tripod mount and also catches the strap-mounting posts?

On the other hand, I do have a monopod and that seems the most obvious solution. Rolleis are forever, but not if thrown on the ground.

Thanks,
    BAB

10. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not feed the straps down, through the origininal hangers, along the side of the body and then connect to the tripod socket?

This way, you would be holding the camera right side up, keeping most of the stress on the original location but giving you extra support from the bottom. I think it would more secure that way.

The down side would be that you have to unscrew the strap from the bottom in order to change the film. Would the (hypothetical) extra security be worth it?

11. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, I don't think so. The Rolleifix really bionds the bottom of the camera -- face (main frame) and tripod mount -- into a single block to share the stress. It is a fairly robust way to mount the camera on a tri- or monopod. The stress may be the same between pod and hanging, but carrying a camera on Rolleifix upside down introduces the very real risk of the quck release mechanism, ummm... quickly releasing.

12. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Genius. Do that with a Rolleifix for easier film loading and it is even more genius!

13. BAB

BAB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The straps I have mount with clips to posts that are on the topside of the Rollei. This is true whether or not the leather case encloses the camera.

Since I almost always use the Rollei with a tripod, I suspect I'll just carry it in one the several packs of various descriptions I have for this very purpose. Not as spontaneous, but using MF is as much a thought process as a mechanical image-capturing process anyway.

Thanks,
    BAB

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not to keep belaboring a point already made... but I found carrying Rollei TLR on monopod/Rolleifix to be just as fast as strap-carrying and hand-holding.

16. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did think of one problem with this idea. If you put a single strap along the sides of the camera, it would be in the way of the controls. The advance lever and the focus knob.

However, if instead of a single lug, you used a square plate mounted to the bottom of the camera with a captive screw that is similar to a tripod mount plate, you could connect four thinner straps to the corners of that plate and route them up the sides to connect at the top of the camera. It would look, sort of, like a letter "X".

You would still have to undo this rig whenever you wanted to reload the camera but you would still have to do this if you used an Ever-Ready case, anyway.

The reason I like this idea is because the standard Every-Ready case is made of leather. I had the leather case on my Yashica Mat come apart on me. It needs to be resewn. (If it can be resewn.) A web system made of high-strength Nylon would give more secure support than the leather without the risk of coming apart.

17. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Rolleifix is one of the most reasonable accessoires if you have a Rollei TLR (the one designed for the SL I have found rather useless by the way). 40$ seem way too much, I bought mine on Ebay for 25 bucks some years ago. I would not use the carrying method you showed on the picture though, either with or without Rolleifix!

18. BAB

BAB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Brian, but I would consider carrying the Rollei on a tripod slung over my shoulder even more potentially damaging to the back plate than suspending it on a strap. The torque on the bottom plate would be at the best angle for damaging same. It would depend, of course, on how the camera and tripod is carried. Using the support as a sort of a cane or walking stick would be the best option?

BAB

19. BAB

BAB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm curious as to why you like the Rolleifix and how it proves itself so useful. BAB

20. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Please note -- I never suggested that. I suggested cradling like a baby whilst transiting between photographic scenes. It is clearly a bad idea to sling any camera over the shoulder while mounted on a pod, tri or mono.

21. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let me help Slix out here. Several reasons:

1. Makes mounting Rollei to a pod easy
    2. Makes changing film easier than if Rollei is screwed into a pod (or ever-ready case)
    3. Is quick to use when mounting Rollei to pod
    4. Distributes the "stresses" when using Rollei on a pod

22. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    p.s. If you really shop carefully you might be able to beat that $40 price, but it would take a lot of careful shopping. It really isn't a bad price to pay for the security and convenience. IMHO, of course.

23. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Brian, you brought it to the point. For me it is mostly easiness of operation. Sliding the TLR into the Rolleifix is so much more rapid than screwing it onto the tripod, so the Rollei can be taken on and off the tripod in an instant. It´s simply the best quick release solution I have ever experienced.

24. BAB

BAB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the clarification on both tripod use and the Rolleifix. Since I've converted my everyday tripod to Arca-Swiss, I already have a quick release option. I'm curious, however, about reloading film with the Rollei attached to a tripod. I'm assuming the Rolliefix allows this option? Most interesting, as it beats holding the camera in one's lap.

BAB

25. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No... Rollei TLR must be removed from tripod to load film. The Rolleifix just makes it easier to remove and replace the camera onto the tripod as opposed to screwing it on and off.

26. BAB

BAB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In which case the Rolleifix wouldn't offer any advantage, as I already attach the camera with a quick-release plate.

Thanks for everyone's help with this issue, especially Brian Shaw. I'll use the strap I put together for DSLRs and not chance damaging the Rollei.

Thanks again,
    BAB

BAB