Rolleiflex 2.8GX

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by guyjr, Mar 7, 2013.

1. guyjr

guyjr Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So... I came upon an opportunity to fulfill one of my long-time dreams, ownership of a true, authentic Rollei TLR. I may be able to buy a 1989 edition 2.8GX, practically brand new (certainly never used), with all original boxes, documents, etc, for around $3,000... possibly a bit less if I negotiate.

Is that a good deal these days? Just fyi, I do not plan on keeping the camera in this mint condition - I use all the equipment I purchase (even if it's only for a yearly run through of film), so am not worried about depreciating value, just wondering if this is a deal I shouldn't pass up?

Thanks!

2. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't think you'll have to worry to much on depreciaition. I would consider buying a Rolleiflex camera like buying a Rolex watch. As far a what your paying for it.. I couldn't say.. Thats diffently out my price range.

ToddB

3. guyjr

guyjr Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Doing some cursory searches on eBay and keh, looks like new GX' in general are a bit above that price, while used is a bit below. Found another 1989 edition on the bay (seller is in HK, as so many seem to be) for around $3300.

I may be waiting a bit on this one... price could definitely go down the longer this sits on the shelf. :smile:

4. pgomena

pgomena Member

I understand your desire for a Rollei - I own an old one. Consider that you can buy a good Hasselblad system with two or three lenses for about the same amount. No, it's not a Rollei, but it's much more versatile.

5. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any reason you want a G for so many thousands when a good F or even a decent E will take photos as good. I know the G has some additional features but a good F can be had for $1000 to $1200 and an E for $600-900. That's a lot to pay for a little more functionality.

6. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Friends don't let friends become shelf queens. :smile:

If you have the money then don't worry about it (the price seems fair) but consider what rich says above -- if you simply want a good Rollei to shoot with, then you have options.

7. guyjr

guyjr Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, it's more like I happened upon what I thought was a good deal, but in reality doesn't appear to be so much of a deal now. I have a Yashica Mat 124, and while it's good, and shoots really sharp images, I've also wanted to own an authentic Rollei TLR. It certainly doesn't look like it will be too hard to fulfill that goal down the road though.

8. guyjr

guyjr Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Absolutely! I shoot every camera I own at least once a year. I do tend to focus on just a couple throughout the year for my various projects, but they all get some love and film annually. :smile:

9. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ha. Yeah! Said Rich who spent about that for a Rolleiwide...(but that's a different story).

10. ronlamarsh

ronlamarsh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have owned both and I can't say the Rollei was so much better that the price was justified in image quality.......after all how good is good? BUT the mystique that is something else altogether. Liecas have the same mystique mojo BTW. There is just something about the way it feels in your hand etc. But now that I am old enough to be immune to GAS I would have a very difficult time paying that price for any camera. I will however go out of my way to get a good German lens, as I prefer their look in Black and White.

11. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    ebay Item number:

Here is a very beautiful GX where the seller is brave enough to start with a low bid and no reserve.. letting the bidders decide the value.

12. guyjr

guyjr Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Very interesting... what is even more interesting is that that seller just sold that very camera yesterday, and re-listed it today (eBay item #111018703439). Sold for $2550.

(I was tipped off in the description of the relisting: "PS this item is re-listed due to problem with shipping addresses")

edit: also just noticed the shipping price went up by $10 on the new listing as well. :laugh:

13. naeroscatu

naeroscatu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had the same dream and managed to make it happen pretty late in life; I bought a good clean 2.8E for about $800 that I use and enjoy a lot. There are options as it was mentioned above. Just keep an open mind and be patient. Cheers,

14. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Well at least if it was relisted that quickly you know it wasn't because the buyer was disappointed with the camera when he received it. 45.00 for shipping with insurance isn't out of line..
    Dennis

15. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's always suspect when something high end like this gets quickly relisted. Often can be a case where a seller shilled the price up using a shell bidder just to see where the prices were heading....

16. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ^ Man those things are sure Puuurty.

17. JohnArs

JohnArs Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi I have two TLRs from Rollei an old one from the beginning 50. is and a GX f2.8. Booth are good cameras the old one has no lightmeter in it. But needs also no batteries!
    I payed for my 1991 GX which was used from an amateur 2-3x a year 1800 USD. But I have it from here in Switzerland and I think you get it even cheaper from germany! My cheap old one has a self timer, its nice for some family shoots so all can be on the pic, it is with the Tessar f3.5!
    If you have time you will find a much cheaper one in my opinion!

Cheers Armin