Rolleiflex 3.5F Meter???

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by sidearm613, Apr 25, 2011.

1. sidearm613

sidearm613 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First new "HELP ME!!!" thread in a while from me.... hmmmm

I just picked up a Rolleiflex 3.5F from a family member who wasn't using it anymore. Its a bit dusty but the shutter and aperture seem to work. One thing that is on my mind though is the meter. It seems to sort of work, and the thin needle moves about when I cover the meter, but the circle-ended needle stays by the red area of the meter. Is this supposed to happen or is this a sign of meter doom?

Any advice?

2. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The circle is connected to the shutter speed and aperture controls. You adjust those till the circle is over the needle and then exposure is right. Assuming the needle is accurate, its working right.

3. ChipMcD

ChipMcD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Also, I would not assume that the meter is working right. Check exposures against a meter you trust.

4. hidesert

hidesert Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If someone removed the front of the camera and didn't know what they were doing they could of messed up the linkage between the shutter/aperature controls and the meter. If you are saying that the circle-ended match needle is not moving or it's range is limited I'd bet that's what happened.

5. sidearm613

sidearm613 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've heard that if it is just a basic problem with the meter it can be fixed just by opening up the meter on the side and fiddling a bit with the gold contacts. What you seem to be suggesting is that this is a mechanical or wiring problem, but could I fix it by myself or would I need to send it off for a serious CLA? Is it even fixable considering the age of the camera and the fact that few people seem to be repairing selenium meters?

6. sidearm613

sidearm613 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    UPDATE:
    So, I opened up the meter and now the circle-ended needle seems to move, if a bit begrudgingly. I framed and metered my room and the Rollei said a balanced exposure was 1/4 at f/4, which compares pretty decently to the same framed area metered through my Pentax 67II set to aperture priority. (it metered 1/3 @ f/4) So, while I remain cautious and will probably depend a bit on the sunny 16 rule, etc when shooting the Rollei, it seems to work decently. That said, I'm still sending in for a complete CLA when I get back to the USA at the conclusion of my study abroad program.

7. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    When you get it all CLA'd and working well, your Pentax is in danger of being left at home in the closet a lot.
    congrats
    Dennis

8. sidearm613

sidearm613 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No way in hell, homeskillet. I love that Pentax to death. :smile: It needs a CLA too, for what its worth.

9. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This seems most likely. On my 3.5f a previous botched attempt at a CLA left the linkage only partly engaged, so that it would only grab if I held the camera just so (and bit the lower right corner of my lip). A proper cleaning by a knowledgeable repair person fixed mine. (but I really missed it the weeks that it was in the shop)