Rolleiflex Automat - how to clean the rollers?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by IloveTLRs, Oct 4, 2013.

1. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Hello,

Recently I noticed something like dirt - or corrosion? - on one of the rollers. I included a photo, but it's hard to photograph something so small. Due to current circumstances, I cannot send a camera out for repair .. so I'm wondering if this is do-able at home. Is it possible to get the rollers separated and clean them? Or is there a chance of screwing-up the film-thickness-sensing-mechanism (in which case I'll leave it be.)

Attached Files:

2. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is it causing problems?

3. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I think so: the last film I ran through it had a vertical line going half-way through. I can't remember if it was the first half or second half :sad: I'm in the process of shooting a test roll

4. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    a cotton swab dipped in alcohol or some good commercial lens cleaner could be used to clean the roller with no danger to adjustments or other stuff. It should be nice and smooth, obviously. I'd avoid anything gritty.

5. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Get a well-used Scotch Brite (r) pad. Not a new one, but one that's been used quite a bit. Dampen it with water and then add a bit of dishwashing soap. Get it a little foamed up with the soap and go over the rollers with it. That should remove any hardened residue.

6. BenJT

BenJT Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a similar problem with an autocord I recently picked up, but it wasn't dirt or corrosion but rough spots on the rollers that were leaving vertical scratches on the film. I removed all 3 rollers and wet sanded them with 1500 grit sandpaper, they are now super smooth.

7. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    it occurs to me to ask if you have made sure the rollers are turning, not just smooth. If film has to slide through them, they have to turn or yes, you will get scratches.

if one or both are not turning, i fear it may be time to have the camera serviced -- not because of the rough spot on the roller, but because if there is a rough spot on the roller, and there is something making the rollers not turn, there is other trouble elsewhere that also needs attending.

8. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1 on the q-tip & alcohol.

9. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Yes, the rollers are moving. So I guess it's q-tips & alcohol. I need to see first how the test roll came out.

10. jochen

jochen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,
    if there are really corrosion traces which go into the material (I think it is glossy chrome plated steel), you could try a Q-tip with a very small amount of chrome-polish like it is used for chrome parts on cars. Please do not try to work on the "Tastwerk" if you are not able to adjust it afterwards correctly.

11. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Yes, thank you for that advice. I have been wary of this.

12. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Well I developed the test roll this morning ... and there was no ill effect on the film :pouty: Thanks for everyone's advice however, and I think I will go over it with some q-tips to give a good cleaning anyway

13. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't.