Rolleiflex & cable release - Did the shutter actually fire?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by pryan9, Dec 21, 2011.

1. pryan9

pryan9 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So last night I was out taking some long exposures using me Rollei and a cable release. As I was packing up and unscrewing the cable release from the camera I noticed that I had left the locking mechanism in place and began to think that none of my shots would turn out because the shutter never fired. Now I'm leaning towards thinking that the shutter did actually fire because I was able to advance the film after each shot and I heard some clicking going on as I engaged and disengaged the cable release. Normally I would notice right away that the shutter release was locked because I wouldn't be able to press the button down but I never noticed since I was using the cable release and it seemed to be engaging the shutter.

Anyways, could someone shed some light on this issue? Do you think that the shutter still fired or did I freeze my a$$ off last night for nothing!

2. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Just checked my F and found the cable release still trips the shutter even with the lock on. What do you know. Wouldn't have thought so.
    Dennis

3. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Checked my Rolleiflex 3.5 MX-EVS (3.5A for europeans) - same thing there - shutter fires with a cable release when the shutter lock is on.

4. pryan9

pryan9 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Awesome! Thanks guys :smile:

5. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is a pin internal to the shutter release. You can see it looking down into the cable release socket. This pin pushes on the same lever as the full shutter release barrel does. The lock mechanism captures only the larger piece, while the pin is still captured but loose inside the barrel.

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't think you would have been able to wind on if the shutter didn't fire.

Steve.

7. pryan9

pryan9 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is what made me think I was in the clear.

8. chioque

chioque Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can confirm that the shutter release cable will work even with lock on, for both my Rollei 2.8F TLR and SL66. In fact, I remembered reading online from several places, whenever using a release cable, the lock must be on, for the SL66, at least. Doing otherwise may damage the transport mechanism for the SL66. One example is here http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=345230

The advice may or may not be applicable to the Rollei TLR, but I always follow it even when using my 2.8f nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2011
  9. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Isn't it 3.5 B ? I always thought mine was a B...

10. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mea culpa... As far as I understand, you're right.