Rolleiflex magnetized light meter needles?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Paul Cunningham, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Paul Cunningham

Paul Cunningham Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, I've searched the archives, but didn't come up with anything. I can't be the first to have seen this.
    On my new to me Rolleiflex, the needles of the light meter seem to be chasing one another, when I adjust the exposure, as the exposure indicator needle approaches the light reading needle, the reading needle will jump away, as if it is magnetized. I don't recall this happening before, is there an easy fix for this, or am I misunderstanding what is happening here? Camera is a 3.5F series if that makes any difference. Thanks! Paul

2. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would guess it's static, rather than magnetism. If that's the case, then perhaps some higher humidity weather might help- head for the Mediterranean. On the other hand, if it is indeed magnetism, then locally heating it up a lot with a hair blower might do the trick, but that runs the risk of overheating some other parts!

3. Paul Cunningham

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Mediterranean sounds fine - right now I'm in rainy Vancouver, B.C., but static is still very possible.

4. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I doubt it is magnetism, the needle is aluminium. Static electricity, or some sort of interference .
    Even if it was steel, the hairdryer trick would be useless - unless your hairdryer goes up to about 1200F.

5. Paul Cunningham

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The problems seems to have cleared up. Thanks to everyone!

6. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The needle of my 3,5F shows sometimes a similar effect.