Rolleiflex Service & Repair

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Thomas Bertilsson, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

if anybody knows of a business that would expertly repair and service Rolleiflex TLR's, then I would be happy as a duck in a pond. If you have contact information it's even better.

I have heard really good things about S.K. Grimes, but they do more custom machining than repair, methinks. I still may end up using them, but I'm open to suggestion.

My Rolleiflex has a bad habit of not wanting to wind film when it's cold out (20*F/-8*C or below). The mechanism locks up and the crank just spins around, seemingly without any resistance. It's really strange, as when I get it back into warmer air for 5 or 10 minutes it starts working fine again. I used to have two Rollei's, decided to sell one, and ended up with the one that decided to act up... Murphy is ever present.

Anyway, I'll be thankful for hints in any direction, but prefer if you have experience with the businesses you recommend.

- Thom

2. Barney

Barney Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Rolleiflex Repair Man

His name is Harry Fleenor. His business name is "Oceanside Camera Repair". He is considered the best.
    Oceanside Camera Repair
    909 Aviation Blvd. #4
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Phone: (310) 374-6506
    His work is top shelf, his ethics and honesty can not be beat. I have used him twice. I talked to him last week, and he was running 4 weeks behind. He is worth the wait.
    He has a website. Do a Google search. You will not go wrong using his services!

3. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I priced some work with Fleenor and with another guy, Frank Marshman, who owns and operates Camera Wiz, in Harrisonburg, VA. Frank was cheaper, and for me, was closeby. (I had seen recommendations for him in magazines by well known photograpers.) I called him when I had bought an older 3.5T for overhaul cost. I wound up sending it to him. Ultimately, I had the same problem with film advance that you describe (cold weather, the whole bit). He actually worked on this camera three times before he found the problem, and never charged me after the first time. He will also spend time on the phone with you. I recommend him highly. If you contact him, mention my name and my problem with film advance (he'll remember), it may be the same fix for yours.
    Frank Marshman
    Camera Wiz
    (800) 471-8133

4. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format