rolleiflex T speed @ 1/8 and 1/15

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by dxphoto, May 4, 2008.

1. dxphoto

dxphoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does anyone have any repair experience on rolleiflex T? I bought one but seems like the shutter doesn't open at 1/8 and 1/15. do I miss anything?

2. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The camera needs a CLA (Clean, Lube, and Adjust). The shutter gets gummy from old grease, oil, and dust. While a CLA isn't cheap, it's worth it. I had my T CLA'd and now it's just like new and good for another 50 years or so. There are lots of threads on this site regarding reputable firms for the CLA.

3. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As Rick says. You will find that all the low speeds, 1-15th, will be AWOL. Get her professionally cleaned and she will serve you faithfully for years.
    Tony

4. dxphoto

dxphoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi, Thanks for the inputs.
    I have another question... At higher speed, (like 1/125), if I press and hold the shutter release , the shutter fires, the leaves open can close, then I release the shutter release, I can hear another click. Is it normal? I have rolleiflex 3.5 automat and it doesn't do this.... I know T is different (newer and simplified). Thanks.

5. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My T did what I think you're describing but at all speeds, ie it took a noticeable amount of time for the shutter release to reset after an exposure and thus allow the film to be advanced. It was only a matter of a second or even less and not really a problem as Rolleiflex Ts aren't really the sort of cameras where you'd want to take a series of shots in quick succession. I had the camera serviced for that and other more important reasons but although that return is now OK, it still gives the impression that it only just has the enthusiasm to return to the 'out' position. I think it's best put down to the charm of using old and interesting cameras!

Steve

6. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My T does this at all speeds. There is a click when the shutter button returns to its original position, however, it is instant. Did before the cla and still does. The T is an outstanding camera. The tessar formulation used in the T gives image quality you won't find from any other tessar type lens. The resolution and contrast at 5.6 down are indistinguishable from a planar.