Rolleiflex TLR - My new toy

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Jack Lusted, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Jack Lusted

Jack Lusted Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well finally I've got a fully working 2.8f Rolleiflex, I picked it up only an hour ago. Now the question is going to be, over the long term will my favorite be the 'new' tlr Rollei or my 'old' Bronica ETR? Would any one venture odd for one over the other?

I'll just go and push a film through it now - so long as it don't start raining again...

Jack

2. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm betting that you'll end up liking the Rollei better!

3. battra92

battra92 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Being a TLR fan, I suggest you run much film through that Rollei. I only have a Rollei "copy" (a Yashica) and that I have lots of fun with.

Be sure and let us know what good comes out of it.

4. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Subscriber

Shooter:
    Holga
    I was out with my R'cord yesterday and -as always-was thrilled to have such a well engineered precision medium format image-making device that's weighs in at less than a pound. Did I mention that the weight includes a Schneider lens and a magnifier for the ground glass ?
    You'll also notice that people respond very differently to TLRs -great for candids and portraits. Try some PAN F and shoot it wide open!
    And then theres the "WOW" factor from interesting and sometimes beautiful strangers...
    Do I sound biased?

5. leeturner

leeturner Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    TLR's are a weakness of mine. I've got a Rolleiflex 2.8C, Rolleicord Vb, 1 Yashica LM, 1 Yashica EM and a Yaschica D. I did have a couple of Autocords but sold them. There's something about using a TLR that feels right for me.

My favourite is the Vb because of its weight and surprisingly sharp lens.

Like you I had a medium format SLR (500 c/m) but sold it as it got very little use.

As stated previously they are a great conversation starter, usually "Hey my dad had one like that". Great cameras.

6. JosBurke

JosBurke Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds familiar---I have had both a Hasselblad 501C/M and a 503 CX for several years now and I picked up a RolleiFlex 3,5 F with Planar lens about a year and a half ago--it was just serviced at purchase by Harry Fleenor and a Maxwell Precision Optics split image focus screen installed by Harry. Bet you'd never guess my favorite MF camera to use??? The RolleiFlex wins hands down-- a fabulous camera and just as sharp as the Hasselblads' Planar. I was so delighted by the RolleiFlex 3,5 that I now have several incluing the 2,8 Planar,a 3,5 and 2,8 Xenotar, another 3,5 Planar with 12/24, several Tele (135 Zeiss Sonnar) models, good gosh someone slap me!! Get the picture ? (pun intended!) fine Cameras with 1st rate optics that can produce stunning images--I'm rather partial to Ilford FP4+ in the RolleiFlex and the lens contrast is just perfect for portraits. EXCELLENT!!
    Joseph Burke

7. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yup, those are two great features of TLR. I think you'll be even happier after printing. Did you shoot on tripod? I usually shoot my Rollei using a monopod and have never been dissatisied with the quality of the neg. The quality of subject matter and composition, of course, are a totally diffferent issue ;-)

8. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow Jack... one of us needs to check our time zone settings! Did I really respond to your post before you wrote it????

9. Jack Lusted

Jack Lusted Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well the English weather has been up to its usual appalling norm. Managed however to shoot off one roll and dev the film. Haven't yet had the time to do any prints but looking at the negs through the enlarger and focus finder they certainly seem nice and sharp.

So far the two things I most love about the Rollei are its so quiet shutter ( the Bronica really went off with a bang) and the viewfinder does not stay blanked out after the exposure.

10. Magnus

Magnus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I f you can live with the standard size non-changeable lens not much can beat the Rolleiflexes.
    I like using standard size lenses and use my Rolleiflex 2,8F a lot. I have the Xenotar which is the Schneider version.

The rolleis are easy to use, inconspicuous and perfectly usable for street and situational photography.

I am still looking for a Rolleiflex T in perfect condition for I love tessar design lenses with tri-x.

11. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dont have a Rollei, but a Yashica 124 and I love it. I was getting slightly dragged out on the 4x5 routine, and 35mm was simply a trick that I had been doing since the 70s. My first trip out gave me more fun and enjoyment than I can remember in many years.

The fixed lens makes me think much more about the composition of a photo. Having to move around and deal with those logistics has caused me to choose locations and angles that I would never have thought about if I could simply zoom or choose another lens. This experience has led to new perspectives in shooting when using the Super Graphic, and now I carry both out on a shoot.

As to the "inconspicuous" part, the TLR seems to attract a whole lot more attention than running around with a 35 SLR barefoot...

12. Jack Lusted

Jack Lusted Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Blast and confound it!!!
    Suddenly the shutter on my lovely rollei won't go click any more.
    Took it to the repair shop and apparently the main spring has busted.
    Grrr, grrr, grrr.
    At least it's still under warranty so it won't cost me any more £s - makes you want to spit though!

Jack

13. leeturner

leeturner Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jack

You didn't happen to try and change to a high shutter speed, especially 1/500, once you'd cocked the shutter? I managed to bust my first TLR by doing that.

14. Jack Lusted

Jack Lusted Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not at all. It was all set up on a tripod using 1/4 sec. I was being very scientific doing bracketed exposures for a new film/dev combo (efke 100 + R09 which incidentally looks v. promising)
    Well, that's life.

Jack

15. Sery

Sery Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I recommend you lokk at www.edkrebbs.com to see what an old 1954 Rollei can do - simply stunning! Have fun I'm jealous.

16. Sery

Sery Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    sorry that's krebs with one "b"

17. leeturner

leeturner Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does anyone know if my Rolleiflex 2.8C should have a standard PC socket as my sync lead doesn't want to fit (first time I've tried it on this camera). It fits my 'cord Vb but that's a much more recent model.

18. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you will love the TLR - it seems to just be perfect for all those pictures you never thought you could or would end up taking! Being a bit of a "shoot from the hip" type, I really found that the bixy nature of a TLR makes it perfect for all kinds of "in the field" solutions: you can rest it on any table, shoot sideways, I have many shots where cigarette packs and stacks of napkins have served as a "tri-pod". You just can't do it as easily with an SLR, and especially in a MF slr.
    BTW, check out the tlr flash thread - lots of good info on the other subject that seems to have come up here.