Rolleiflex User Group

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by orlovphoto, Dec 5, 2011.

1. orlovphoto

orlovphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi There,

If you use any Rollei product and are on facebook you might want to look up the group dedicated to the use of those cameras and all those who still shoot with them. We have three friendly Admins (though one of them have not been heard from for a while) and I'm one of them. We are 2050+ member strong and we have some amazing photographers from all over the world as well as beginners who are just discovering the art of Film.

Cheers,
    Anton.

2. Paul Cunningham

Paul Cunningham Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. jscott

jscott Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm a big Rollei user, but not on fbook. Is there access to the general public?
    I'm in the Yahoo group, which is a low ebb...

I don't want to join fbook; I tried it, didn't like it, backed out of it.

4. jnoir

jnoir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Same here

5. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We have a Rolleiflex group with 152 members who are all enthusiasts, why not become an APUG subscriber for a very small charge and join it.

6. naeroscatu

naeroscatu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot a Rolleicord and love it however I have a problem with F-book. They are intrusive and I don't trust them with my info and pictures. Why don't you use a decent platform, like APUG?

7. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I am a member of Anton's group on FB. There is far more activity there than on any APUG group. That includes posting photos.
    I don't really understand the FB hate. It is what you make it. It doesn't have to be intrusive on your life. I have had really good experiences with FB in sharing my art with people and finding long lost friends. It is easy to remove anyone or anything from your news feed. It is easy to share stuff with multiple people and get lots of feedback and conversation from people all over the country or the world. It is far more personal than APUG. No one makes you spend a lot of time on FB and you are not obligated to look at all the posts. I have sold work off FB. That has never happened on APUG. I like APUG but look at only a very small percentage of the posts. APUG is on FB by the way.
    Dennis Purdy

8. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll chime in too as a Rollei user (and non Fbook user) - why not convince your fellow Fbook members to join APUG - plus all of the other non-Rollei specific benefits it offers?

9. T-grain

T-grain Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

same here!

10. hka

hka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    and here!!!

11. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    and what about here!!!!

12. robinB

robinB Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Mamiya c330

Hi
    Is there anyone who could tell me more about the mamiya c330?
    My granddad promised me I would get it if I knew everything about the camera.
    So if you would like to tell me the basics of the mamiya please contact me :smile:

Robin

13. philbed

philbed Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    In France, we use to say "Face de bouc" for Fbook. It means "Goat's face". That's a perfect definition ! On Fbook there are noboby older than thirteen years old so I'm not sure that anyone on Fbook knows what a Rolleiflex is. There are many Forums as Apug and the Rollei List dedicated to MF photography. No need for an other.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Robin:

Welcome to APUG.

I'm guessing that you might be fairly young.

I would suggest that you start your own thread about this in the medium format cameras part of the forum. It would help if you included with your question some information about what knowledge and experience you do have with cameras, and what you want to do with them, so that we could better tell what might be helpful.

I've been using a Mamiya C330 for about 35 years, but when I started I had already used a few cameras, and had worked a fair bit in a darkroom, so it was much easier for me to decide that it would be good for me.

16. JerryWo

JerryWo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Heck I just created a fake FB account. Might just go sniff around this Rollei group
    Jerry

17. JerryWo

JerryWo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    dpurdy is right - the FB Rollei group has a ton of activity. I just checked the APUG group and it appears to have dried up.

I too am "against" FB, but I do have a throw-away GMAIL account...so I signed up to FB with a fictitious name, DOB, etc. Poof. I was in.
    It was that easy. At least now I have the ability to check some of these sites out. I have no intention of getting into the "friending" business, I just wanted the ability to check out the occasional site on FB.

My Rollei will come back from CLA tomorrow via UPS. I'm looking forward to "looking down".

Jerry

18. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like anything on the internet, FB is what you make of it. That goes for APUG too.

And yes, the FB Rollei group has a lot of activity. I'm especially impressed by the quality of the photography. Some real nice pictures pop up on occasion.

Jim B.

19. orlovphoto

orlovphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey guys - sorry for not checking in on here for a second.

To address the concerns voiced above about facebook vs. apug communities - here's how I see it, while groups like apug and tpf are a concentrated wealth of knowledge and are a great resource for those who know about their existence, they are also very plentiful while facebook is pretty ubiquitous. Plus I really do think that their purposes are different - facebook is not as good of a platform for meaningful learning (though those who really want to do that succeed to some degree I'm sure) while more specific groups like apug are perfect for that while they may not be great at connecting an artist in CA with a journalist in Russia with a doctor in Egypt and so on just because they actually all share one random passion (such as shooting Rollei cameras).
    Our group is set to 'public' so anyone can see the images that members post. The comments are usually quite mild, but people rarely post anything that can be really torn into it (when they do I try to speak up for the arts sake). I just added the 2070th member this morning - people do come and go, but we get to see some consistent work from all genres.
    I do love this forum though, there are some really thoughtful and articulate folks here. I do wish that I was was on here more often, but the bus has been eating up all my time. What? You haven't heard of THE BUS yet? Well, I think some of you might like it :smile:
    Check it out and if you feel like supporting please pass on the word: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/351976604/the-photo-palace-bus

Peace!

P.S. Dennis - Hi :smile: Nice pictures, keep posting. I love that we can scroll through the 1500+ images in that gallery and see shots from all over the world of every subject matter and most of it excellent quality. (I do hope some of the folks in that group start paying more attention to the processing and scanning cause once they do that they'll have superb stuff too)

20. rolleiman

rolleiman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm a Rollei user too, but I would not want to be on Facebook. I know that newspapers look upon it as a source of free pictures. Facebook is the first place they search if they want pictures of someone they can't find elsewhere.

21. dhosten

dhosten Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am on Facebook more often than any other site, because that is where my friends and family can most often be found, as we live very far apart. That said, I use APUG, Flickr and other sites for Photography related content. fwiw I am closer now to 50 than 40, and so are many of my Facebook friends.

22. fenderslash

fenderslash Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm with the "Facebook is what you make of it" crowd. It's aim is social networking, not photography, so with that in mind here's some simple tips for people who are worried about joining...

1. You are actually not obligated to have 1000 "friends" and dribble endless crap to each other like the kids do. Just have the people you actually know and would relate to in the real world as your contacts. I find it's a great way of keeping in touch with friends who have moved town and reconnecting with old friends who I had lost contact with.

2. You are not actually obligated to post photos that you think may be stolen by newspapers (or used inappropriately in any other way). As I said, Facebook isn't a photography site. If you're worried about public access to your photos there then don't post them. If you do post them you can set the privacy levels so that only your Facebook friends can see them rather than full public access. If you're scared of posting photos to a public Rollei club on Facebook then there is nothing stopping you from keeping your photos to yourself and just participating in the discussions instead.

3. It's not a dedicated photography site, however due to its social-networking basis it's a good platform for fans of anything (eg. the Rollei "club" that started this thread) to join together and interract. No harm done.

So everything is your choice. It's your choice whether to join FB or not and its your choice what you do with it when you're there. So I think the people who are actually complaining about others creating and enjoying a FB Rollei group simply because the complainers feel they're excuded due to choosing not to join FB are a bit out of line.

My own personal view on the photography site vs Facebook issue is that sites like APUG and PhotoNet will always be the best resourse for research and discussion; Flickr will always be the best resource for displaying your work; and Facebook is another animal entirely that is all about social networking which in part can involve photography related discussion and photo sharing.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2011
  23. orlovphoto

orlovphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You should see the work that's coming out of France using Rolleiflex - if that's 13 year olds posing as adults they are all geniuses and I bow down to France.

24. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm in. There's some wonderful work there.

25. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just requested to join. Thanks.

26. orlovphoto

orlovphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just approved ya :smile:

Welcome.

It's really not so bad, we rarely get any posts at all that are not 'on the level'. Granted - the level is not as in-depth as on here, but again, it's more about networking and meeting people. I can't wait to get on my road trip in the photo bus and visit all my Fbook friends.
    I do hope to become a more regular contributor to this community and that I make many life-long friends in here as well.

Cheers,
    Anton