Rolleiflex won't stop advancing

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by gedra, Feb 23, 2013.

1. gedra

gedra Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Rolleiflex suddenly refuses to stop between shots. I put in a new roll and the entire thing spools through without stopping for each frame. Probably something foolishly simple. Any thoughts?
    Thanks!

2. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did you load the film correctly? My 3.5f will do what you're experiencing if the film isn't run under the first roller.

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The title of this thread immeditely made me think of "The Magic Porridge Pot"...

4. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1 - First time this happened I was completely stumped.

5. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This video covers the basics of loading a Rolleiflex.
    He covers a lot of "beginner" material that you probably already know but he shows how the film has to go under the roller pretty clearly.

[video=youtube;7oAaf4R4jxQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oAaf4R4jxQ[/video]

6. gedra

gedra Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks all. I switch from this older unit and the newer FX which has no roller. You unlocked my brain freeze.

7. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't worry. Many people make this mistake the first time.

I have a Yashicamat which loads the usual way. You pull the film leader over the aperture, attach it to the takeup and advance until the arrow on the leader lines up with the mark on the inside of the camera. Thinking the Rolleiflex loads the same way, I did as I usually did and ended up cranking through a whole roll of film. It wasn't until I searched the internet, downloaded the instruction manual from butkus.org ( http://www.butkus.org/chinon/rolleiflex.htm ) that I figured it out.

In my search, I also found that video. After the SECOND time, when I forgot which camera I was using and loaded it wrong AGAIN, I hunted up that video again and bookmarked it, figuring that somebody else might find it helpful, some day. :smile:

8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is a very instructive film.