Rollie Retro 80S with HC-110 (Dillution H) or Fomadon RO9 1:100...any thoghts????

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by jreitsma, Jun 5, 2011.

1. jreitsma

jreitsma Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Folks;

I'm starting to shoot Rollei 80S and I'm wondering which developer I should use. I prefer to use HC-110 and/or Fomadon RO9. So, any thoughts, ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Best Regards--JOE

2. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. jpa

jpa Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm not a big fan of HC-110 ( I do use it on certain films ), but I really like the look of this film in Rodinal. You lose some speed with it, though, and I usually shoot it at around ei 60. I'm assuming that the Fomadon 09 is the same as the Rodinal that I use ( Adox Adonal ).

4. Film-Niko

Film-Niko Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    With most developers Rollei Retro 80S gives an extrem S-shape curve, especially with Rodinal/R09. Because of this curve shape you get very little to none shadow detail, very dense midtones, high partial contrast at the midtones, and flat highlights.
    To tame the curve a bit you have to reduce speed signifcantly (ISO 16-20) and reduce developing time.
    I was never really satiesfied with this film because of these reasons.
    I have replaced it by ATP (also near infrared sensitisation) and Spur DSX (Agfa Copex Rapid) in Spur Modular UR new developer. Ideal linear characteristic curve, much better tonality, significantly higher resolution and sharpness (its medium format quality with 35mm film), more effective speed (ISO 40).

5. xisbrat

xisbrat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just did a roll of Rollei Retro 80s in Rodinal (1:100 stand development), and still found your remarks accurate, especially the lack of shadow detail, and flat highlights. Since the stand development is intended to provide a compensating effect, I would conclude that Retro 80s is not benefited by that approach. I might try the reduced speed and pull development technique next.

6. Роберт

Роберт Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The film is not so fast. Even in HC-110 expose around iso 40-50 but it's a good combination.
    In R09/Rodinal it gives an sharp type S-curve with the disadvantages mentioned above. Further a very fine grained type film.

7. hmzimelka

hmzimelka Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have recently started experimenting with the 80s and Rodinal combination, since the recommended developing times were all quite unsatisfactory for me.
    I shot the film at ASA 40, and developed for 9min at 20º C. Shots were all bracketed, shot un-fitlered, with a red filter, and with a 715nm IR filter...
    These shots can be seen on my blog, all together for good comparison. Since this is my first post, I can paste a link yet... my website is www dot martinzimelka dot com and my blog can be found there.

There is really a lack of shadow detail, even at ASA 40! As Film Niko mentioned, I also suspect that this film in Rodinal might require shooting it at ASA 20 or less.

I want to try this film in Studional, which I've heard is close to HC110 (TRUE/FALSE???), however, I think the film will need to be pulled as well.

8. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have experimented with Rollei 80s quite a lot. I found a very satisfying developer: Calbe A 49, diluted 1+1. This developer may to be find hard outside form Germany, so I give you a link to a German shop.- Their English pages are not ready yet.

http://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/fotoch...einstkorn-negativentwickler-a-49-1-liter.html

Please look at the characterisc curve of this combination (notes are in German, sorry):
    http://home.arcor.de/piu58/fotoweb/aufsaetze/retro80A49.jpg

A 49 is the successor of the Agfa Atomal. I use it since the mid of the seventies.

9. Роберт

Роберт Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good info. BTW in HC-110 the curve is also in this way.

A49 comes from Calbe which you can find here:
    http://www.calbe-chemie.de/prod/pdf/A 49 en.pdf

It's a powder bag and HC-110 is a liquid concentrate.

Best regards,

Роберт

10. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Uwe, thanks for reminding me. Since I read your first posting on this I wanted to ask you about the grain and sharpness of R80S in A49. Anything much different than with other developers? A49 has not the best reputation regarding sharpness but R80S itself is already very sharp.

11. Роберт

Роберт Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Andreas,

my main problems with R80s are not concerned with sharpness but with empty shadows and blocked highlights. The A49 cures both. You get 50 ASA real speed which quite a lot for such a high definition film.
    I printed up to 40x30 cm² from 35 mm. You can see hints of grain mostly in the sky if you look close. But I don't see any muddy borderlines.

13. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks, Uwe. I'm in the same boat regarding the s-slope of this film. Time to try A49 I guess...

14. JPR

JPR Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  15. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    > Did it turn into this

This is the same stuff.

16. Denverdad

Denverdad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, they're supposed to be the same. I can't verify that having never used the Calbe version, but I can report that Atomal49 does in fact do a good job of taming the contrast, as has been claimed.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
  17. Роберт

Роберт Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try A49 1+1 (or even 1+2) with the Rollei Retro 80(S) / Aviphot 80 E1 from Agfa Gevaert. It is one of the best combinations. TDLC-103 1+0 is also not bad at all. In fact a modified low contrast Beutler type developer. Metol, Sodiumsulfite and Sodiumbicarbonate. Use it fresh because the Bicarbonate is not very stable.
    A49 is containing para- Phenylene Diamine, a toxid and very staining chemical. I still have some Calbe packages left from my visit in East Berlin in 1988. I somehow had to get rid of that East Mark which were in fact worthless when returning ....

[​IMG]

Indeed: Allied Checkpoint Charlie.

Attached Files:

18. Murray Kelly

Murray Kelly Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    In 2012 I tried the R80S thinking to use it, slit, in a Minox. We were staying in France. Here are 2 from a Voightlander R-2 and a Snapshot 25mm. EI 80.
    To develop I knew I had to reduce contrast somehow - I actually like grays. So I ran the only roll in 1:1:250 of Rodinal:hc110:water at 20Deg as a stand for 1 hr.
    I think it is probably like Rodinal with pH reduction and sulphide added. I expected more 'snap' a la Rodinal but the hc110 isn't one of Kodak's sharpest of developers (by their own admission).

Attached Files:

19. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  20. JPR

JPR Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the comments all! I don't really want to hi-jack this thread, so I am thinking to start a thread about experiences with this film.

So far I have tried Rodinal and DD-X. Next I think I will try Acurol-N, when I do I will post on another thread!