Round Plexiglass Diffuser for Cold Light Head

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by seadrive, Jan 20, 2011.

1. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi guys and gals,

After doing strictly large format and contact prints for the past couple of years, I've started also using a medium format rangefinder. So, I'm now setting up my almost-30-year-old Beseler MX-II with my equally-old Aristo cold light head, which still works, remarkably! :smile:

My problem is that I can't find the plexiglass diffuser that sits beneath the tubes of the cold light, so I need to obtain or make a new one.

I've never worked with plexiglass, so... do I just buy a small sheet of 1/8" plexi and cut it to the (square) size I need, then cut/sand the corners until it's round? What do you use to cut plexiglass?

TIA for any advice you can offer!

2. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Plexi can be cut with a fine tooth saw or multiple scoring by a very sharp utility knife.

3. pgomena

pgomena Member

Take your measurements to a plastic outlet such as TAP Plastics and they'll cut it perfectly for a few bucks. Look in the Yellow Pages under "plastic fabricators."

Peter Gomena

4. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like TAP's locations are all on the left coast, but I should be able to find a similar place here.

Thanks, guys!

5. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have one , the unit has a broken bulb and i couldn't sell it that way and i kept it for parts, pm me and we can work something out if you wish. It was purchased from Aristo .