Rugged Pull Cart/Dolly to haul around 11x14 Camera equip?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by cougstar, Sep 21, 2011.

1. cougstar

cougstar Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Anyone have any good ideas of something I can haul around an 11x14 camera on?

Need something lightweight yet rugged to maybe pull off pavement. Sand/Rock/Dirt Trails.

Right now it is in a Tenba RS-G5W ATA Air Case with wheels, but the wheels are pretty dinky, not really suitable for long treks.

I was looking to put that onto something then haul it around.

The best I can find is a MultiCart 8-in-1 Equipment Transporters - R12NF All-Terrain I found on B and H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=wishListDetail.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=664498&is=REG

Any other ideas?

Thanks, much appreciated.

2. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Jogging strollers -- find a store that carries used baby stuff or Craig's list.

I use to have one of these:

http://bergdesign.net/triple.htm

But I gave it away to when my triplets got too big (to another family with triplets) -- I should have kept it. I could have hauled my 11x14 and 8x10 with me! I took the stroller up creeks, on hiking trails (rugged ones), on the beach, etc. At the end I probably had a hundred pounds or so of kids on the stroller.

There also game carts, for example:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brow...me+Carts+Carriers|USA&rid=20&pcrid=8195336457

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2011
  3. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've been using this. I've had the case with my 8x10 Eastman, with a graflex vulcanoid case above it, and a 3051 tripod on top with everything lashed down with bungee cords. Does okay over grass/curbs/etc. I haven't tried to hike with it.

Dan

4. cougstar

cougstar Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    These are great! I never thought of these.

Thanks, I think the game cart might be the way to go. I'll have to look into this more.

Thanks a lot.

Ted

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Google "deer cart" to see some options that will allow you to transport a hard or soft case in somewhat rough terrain.

7. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have the all-terrain R12 cart with pneumatic wheels front and back and it's *not* what you want for going down trails--or long distances. It's great for moving heavy loads over uneven surfaces, but it's large and not agile enough for trail use.

8. rmann

rmann Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This is what I use: http://www.nordiccab.com/menu/home

Bottom is a plastic tub and rated for a load of 110 pounds - really easy to push, but you can also use handles to pull it - or, if you have one, you can use a dog harness so your dog can pull it for you. Wheels can be switched to skis in the winter. Really well designed and worth the cost - I went through a few cheaper "things" before I found this.

9. cougstar

cougstar Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the heads up. Looks like there are other options closer to what I'm looking for.

10. cougstar

cougstar Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This is pretty good. I really like the ski option. Thanks!

11. cougstar

cougstar Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Are there any US dealers for the nordiccab? Where did you get yours?

Thanks,

12. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wonder if the Sherpa Cart is still being made.

13. rmann

rmann Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

I found mine on Ebay, looks like they aren't currently selling in North American for some reason. As I said I really like the plastic tub design over the typical bike trailer models from other makers. A small design feature is the multi position for the axle - it has three positions which allows you to balance the load - makes pushing it a lot easier.

My second choice would have been a Canadian company: http://www.wicycle.com/index.php They make a number of types including a pet trailer/stroller with a flat floor.

There is also the Canadian made Chariot which might be considered the top of the line in these, I think you can get skis for them.

14. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    bicycle trailers usually have 20" plus tires & if you use one for children they show up at yard/garage sales, thrift stores and the like.
    They're usually aluminum tubing with a canvas seat and can be easily modified by adding a third wheel or flip down stand.

Guarantee you're not going to like 8" wheels or four on sand or rough terrain.