ruined nikon F eye level finder?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by mikejd80, Oct 9, 2012.

1. mikejd80

mikejd80 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a question about a Nikon F standard finder i recently got. I see that the inner wall surfaces of the pentaprism all show white dots, but they seem uniformly formed, do not look like fungus or other taint, the finder looks mint. I am wondering whether anybody has ever seen this before, or maybe there is really something wrong with the finder? maybe desilvering? but i see no other dirty stuff inside the finder. if it is the silver coating peeling off, they are so oddly separated.

Attached Files:

2. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The pattern reminds me of 60's "Op-art".

4. Yashinoff

Yashinoff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It is actually probably the paint on the silvering starting to bubble off, think of "schniederitus". If the silvering itself has been affected the viewfinder image will appear hazy. I have a couple of prisms where this has happened and they still work fine. On the other hand I have several prisms where the silvering has degraded without any bubbling of the black backing paint. If it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
  5. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you can see through the silvering to the paint bubbling off, then the silvering is bad, too.

6. Yashinoff

Yashinoff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm not completely sure, since the black areas are where paint is still adhered to the silvering. :confused: I don't think the silvering is generally thick enough to be anywhere close to opaque.

Edit: take that back, but it doesn't change much. What we're seeing bubbles on is the top front of the pentaprism, which isn't actually used in viewing anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012