Run for the hills! The new technology is coming ...

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by gr82bart, Mar 31, 2007.

1. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmm ... what on earth could this quote be talking about? Sounds like digital right? Nope. Dry plates. The source: E. E. Cohen, "Bad Form in Photography," in The International Annual of Anthony's Photographic Bulletin. New York and London: E. and H. T. Anthony, 1893, p. 18.

So, whaddayathink? Have they run rampant or not? Does science and technology supercede art in photography?

Regards, Art.

2. digiconvert

digiconvert Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    100 years time when we're all dust someone will be sending a message through the brain implant of subscribers bemoaning the latest upgrade to the optical nerve bypass chip which allows users to process their images when asleep for download to the Jessops mainframe and delivery to the cyberpost- or whatever .

Some of the images produced will be stunning , some will make serious comments on the current way of life and some will have Aunty Sally with her head out of frame !

Not sure if I would enjoy making images that way but I'm a product of the mid 20th Century so my comments will be as relevant as Ug's brother who bemoaned that a good club was far more useful than the new fangled flint arrows !

My two pennorth.

Cheers CJB

3. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    No.

Artists supersede whatever medium they choose :smile:

Murray

4. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    dry plate. pshaw!!!
    WPUG, please!

5. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yes <edit> amoungst most, but it needn't be that way</edit>

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007
  6. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Well, with 60 pounds of 8x10 equipment, I won't be running for the hills...just taking my time under the canopy of trees.

Science, technology and art are not animate things, but closer to tools -- they can not supercede, walk, talk, or otherwise move on their own. Humans, sometimes defined as the tool-user, are capable of a large variety of things, motivated by a large variety of ideas and emotions. What they will do with science, technology and art will be all over the map.

Vaughn

7. phaedrus

phaedrus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just the other day, Jeff Curto mentioned in his podcasted lecture on the history of photography how the introducition of dry plates changed a whole lot, made photography so much more accessible as an avocation and led to an increase of photo enthusiasts gathering in "camera clubs".
    Well, it's history all over again with digital photography and flickrish sites.

8. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    The more things change, the more they...... :wink: